03. From Triumph to Terror

"What did I tell you!" Fiona's voice cut through the roar of the crowd, a clarion of triumph and disbelief

"What did I tell you!" Fiona's voice cut through the roar of the crowd, a clarion of triumph and disbelief. She tugged Cedric from his seat, their laughter intertwining as they joined the jubilant throng of spectators.

Though her sight had been taken, the match had unfurled in Fiona's mind, each play vivid in her imagination. Ludo Bagman's commentary amidst the cacophony guided her through the breathtaking spectacle of Krum's Wronski Feint. Fiona had clutched her father's hand so tightly during the final moments that he claimed he was still feeling the effects as they meandered through the post-match revelry, where leprechauns danced overhead with their raucous laughter.

"You got lucky, that's all!" Cedric's voice was buoyant with mirth as he steered Fiona toward their tent, the echoes of the stadium's excitement still reverberating in their ears.

As the crowd began to move, Heidi Macavoy slipped her arm through Fiona's and pulled her close. "Can you believe it, Fiona? Krum's a genius on a broom!" Heidi's voice, as energetic as ever, was full of awe. Fiona didn't need to see her best friend to know Heidi's blue eyes were wide with excitement, her blonde curls bouncing as she gestured animatedly. Heidi had been a constant in Fiona's life since their first year at Hogwarts—a bundle of energy, always nurturing and fiercely protective. Whether cheering for their friends on the Quidditch pitch or helping Fiona navigate Hogwarts' tricky staircases, Heidi was always by her side. She squeezed Fiona's hand now, her enthusiasm infectious. "I think Cedric might need to borrow that Wronski Feint for our matches!"

Beside Heidi was Malcolm Preece, his usual quiet demeanor giving way to an uncharacteristic excitement. Though Malcolm wasn't one to shout or cheer as loudly as others, his enthusiasm for the match was obvious in the wide grin plastered across his face. "Did you see Krum's dive?" he burst out, his voice animated in a way Fiona rarely heard. "I thought for sure he was going to crash!" Malcolm had been Cedric's best friend since their first year, and though he tended to be more reserved, moments like this brought out a more energetic side of him. He couldn't stop talking about the highlights of the match, the thrill still buzzing in his voice. Sharing a quick glance with Cedric, both of them clearly riding the high of the World Cup, Malcolm's energy blended seamlessly with the group's excitement, his usual quietness forgotten in the wake of the incredible game.

Amos Diggory had orchestrated the entire outing as an early birthday gift for Cedric and Fiona, securing coveted tickets for their group. Heidi and Malcolm had arrived a few hours after the Diggory family, and now, amidst the crowd's jubilant celebrations, they navigated through the sea of excited fans.

Fiona's laughter blended with Malcolm's as she nudged him playfully. "So, tell me—was it as amazing to watch as I imagined?"

Malcolm's voice brimmed with excitement. "It was unbelievable! What Krum does on a broom—he makes it look effortless. He's absolutely brilliant!" Their laughter echoed inside the tent as they recounted every thrilling moment, Heidi and Malcolm painting the match in vivid detail, filling in the gaps for Fiona. Each description brought the game to life, letting her experience the highlights she couldn't see.