Chapter 1: Obligations

Chapter 1

Obligations

I’ve never quite found the place where society has deemed me to ‘fit-in’.

Not that I’ve made an effort to conform to social statuses and quos, but it’d be nice to actually have a group of friends that share interests with me.

“Hey Remy, catch!” Some over egotistic jock shouts as he throws a football directly at my glasses.

Shortly after, a small shatter sounds off signaling that my glasses are indeed now in need of repair.

“Now she’s finally got two eyes like the rest of us!” Another jock roars with laughter.

Fuming at the crowd, my hands and knees hit the floor as I scramble quickly to find what’s left of my glasses.

It’s really hard to look for something when you’re practically blind.

Before I know it, a familiar feminine voice is piercing through the crowd coming to my aid once again.

“Knock it off Jeremy, she’s still my sister.”

Ah, Brynn the Queen Bee has got it all figured out now, doesn’t she?

This wouldn’t be the first time something like this has happened. Brynn my twin is always bailing me out of embarrassing – well at least they used to be – situations like this.

“Are you okay?” She asks me as my hand continues to search the concrete for signs of plastic or glass.

“Go away Bea, I’ve told you time and time again I don’t need your help when things go wrong.” I reply a bit frustrated I haven’t been able to find anything.

Even though I can’t see her right now, I know for an absolute fact she is rolling her eyes at my attitude.

The sound of jean rubbing against skin is apparent when she kneels down next to me in an effort to help.

“Well I’m your sister, Remy. I won’t just leave you when you need my help.”

“You weren’t saying that when you were off at Paul Hanover’s house getting laid while I expected you to come to the science fair and pretend like you give a care, were you?” I spew out without thinking.

Both of our hands stop moving and a dead silence settles over the crowd.

Then the murmurs erupt like a volcano gushing out hot lava.

I think I just ruined my sister’s reputation permanently, if not for the rest of our high school years.

“Brynn, I am so–“

“No. Save it for the science geeks who ‘care’ about you. I don’t see them trying to help you two seconds ago.” She spits while hastily standing to her feet.