Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Julia

I felt a cold hand slap my face. He screamed at me again I just sat there and watched as everything went in slow motion, including his words which were slurring because he was drunk, like always. He yelled at me for no reason then threw his beer bottle at the wall and it shattered everywhere. His eyes were full of anger and he slapped me and told me to go clean it up because “I made him throw it”.

“I’LL KICK YOU OUT OF THIS HOUSE YOU STUPID USELESSSS TEENAGERR!”

Pfft fine. I don’t care you never let me go outside anyways. I cleaned it up and I accidentally left a piece of glass on the floor and he slapped me because he stepped on it. I was done with everything, I didn’t care about anything at this point. I ran to my room and locked my door I put my earphones in. Lana Del Rey. One of the only people that kept me going in my suckish life with my abusive dad and my dead mom who passed 4 years ago from cancer, probably from the mold in this dingy apartment somewhere near San Francisco. Honestly he never let me outside so I barely even knew where we were from. I had only gone to school for elementary but taught myself with online classes and I was pretty smart, never had any friends, never had a boyfriend, and I only had a phone because my aunt Elizabeth sent it to me, and the only reason I wasn’t living there is because there was no way to get there. I decided to call her because I just wanted someone to talk to. The phone started to ring and she answered it right away.

“Hi Aunt Beth.” I say quietly into the phone.

“Hi honey is everything ok?” She said with her American voice with a North Carolinian ring to it. I honestly dont know why she’s asking me this. Nothing is ever ok.

“I hate it here and I just want to see you guys and not be here anymore.” I said in the most sincere voice the line went silent.

“Honey I don’t think I-“I interrupt her,

“AUNT BETH PLEASE TAKE ME AWAY ALREADY I WANT TO DIE AND IM ONLY 17!”  I was whisper yelling so my dad didn’t come in. There was a long silent pause that was almost eerie in a way.

“Summer, do you still have that credit card I gave 3 years ago?”

“Yeah I think so I just have to look around-“

“I am going to put money on it. I want you to take your phone and call a taxi, I am going to book a flight. You are going to come live with us, I will book a flight for late tonight so your dad will be asleep, but I need you to set an alarm I will call you in an hour or so ok?”

My head filled with happiness and tears a lot of them, I cry at least 20 times a day because of my dad if I should even call him that, because of the way he treats me.

“YES! OH MY GOD I THOUGHT YOU WERE NEVER GOING TO TELL ME I COULD YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY I AM RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO GO SET AN ALARM AND PACK CLOTHES AND GO TO SLEEP OK? CALL ME SOON. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU.”

“I love you to summer, go pack I will call you soon.” The phone ends and I practically threw my phone in the air. This is actually happening.

I woke up to the sound of an owl. My ring tone. She’s calling.

“Hello?” I ask nervously when I answer the phone.

“Hi Summer, I booked a flight for 2 am ok? You’re going to call a taxi, I have emailed you the tickets, and put 150 dollars on your credit card, call now. I will be here to pick you up at 8 when you get here.”

“Ok.” I said with huge smile on my face.

“I love you and I will see you in a few hours”