Everything

Compelled by Habit

Scene starts off with Emily at her best friends (Dana)’s funeral. She’s with Michael, while many other people are there to give their condolences as well.

Emily: I just don’t even understand.

Michael: I know. It’s really shocking for everyone. I just can’t imagine what her parents are going through right now.

Emily: She shouldn’t have left like this. Why did she leave? Why did she do this?

Michael: Emily, god wanted her back. That’s all.

Emily: No, that’s not all. What about the rest of her life ahead of her? Forget getting married and having a career, she didn’t even get to finish high school.

A man, (Mr. Jackson approaches them).

Mr. Jackson: She was a good kid.

Michael: Hi, uh, you must be one of Emily’s family members.

Mr. Jackson: Me? Oh no. I’m just a friend from the neighborhood. Very sorry to hear what happened, so I thought I’d stop bye to give my condolences.

Emily: That’s really nice of you. Have you been living her long? I’ve never seen you before.

Mr. Jackson: I’m Ted Jackson. And no, I haven’t. Just moved here recently actually. But, uh, I’ve lived her before.

Michael: Hm, I see.

Mr. Jackson: Well, it was nice meeting you kids. Better get going now.

Michael&Emily: Good bye.                                                    

Mr. Jackson leaves.

Emily:  People who didn’t even know Dana properly, came to give their condolences. How sweet.

Michael: I know. Hm, I just hope she’s in a better place now.

Mr. Seldom walks over to them and interrupts Michael and Emily.

Mr. Seldom: Hey kids.

Michael: Hi, Mr.Seldom. I just wanted to let you know that I’m really sorry for your loss.

Mr. Seldom: I know. Everything just happened so fast. In the blink of an eye, I have lost my daughter.

Michael: I can only imagine how tough this all is for you. Dana will always be in our hearts.

Mr. Seldom: Thank you son. Emily, dear, (turns to Emily) you were an amazing friend to Dana. She loved you so much, you were there for her through everything.

Emily: Mr. Seldom, you don’t understand how much I miss her. I can’t imagine a life without her, and yet I’m already living it. Maybe, just maybe, if I asked her once where she was going, she wouldn’t have left.

Mr. Seldom: Reality is crazy. You never know what can happen. Anyways, I should go see how Mrs. Seldom is doing.

Michael: Yes, of course.

Emily: Bye.

Mr. Seldom leaves.

Emily: Michael…

Michael: It’s going to be okay. (Hugs Emily)

Scene ends. Next scene starts off with Emily leaving her house, while Mr. Jackson approaches her.

Mr. Jackson: Hello Emily!

Emily: Oh, um, hey.

Mr. Jackson: Wow, you seem very excited to see me.