"What's Going On?" - Chen x Reader

Keys clinking, you push open your apartment door with a sigh. Inside you rest one hand on the door frame, as you balance to take your shoes off. 

Throwing your keys in the container on the shelf, you hang your bag and coat up. You let go of another sigh, run your hands through your hair and walk into the living room. 

Glancing around the room you noticed your boyfriend isn't back yet. "He's probably working over time again .."  You put a hand on your stomach and walk into the kitchen, thinking of getting dinner ready. "Ah I should ask just in case he's going to be home for dinner."  You pull out your phone and click on your boyfriend's number.

"Hello? Do you need something baby?" Your boyfriend asks softly. You smile at the sound of his voice. "I was wondering if you would be home for dinner. I have a surprise for you."  

There's silence for a little bit and then Chen begins to speak again. "Ah ... I don't think so. I'll probably be home late again tonight. I'm sorry love ..." You sigh but understand. "I understand, I'll make enough for leftovers." 

"Thank you Y / N. I'll try to be home soon so you can tell me about the surprise. I love you." He tells you. "Mmmm I love you too Chen."  The call ends with a soft click.

You sigh lightly again and rub your stomach. "We'll just have to wait a little longer to tell daddy about you." You whisper to the little baby growing.

Turning some music on, you begin to make dinner. You get so wrapped into dinner that you barely register the sound of the door closing. "Oh are you home already Chen?"  You call out from the kitchen. 

Silence answers you.

 "Chen?"  You call out again. 

All of a sudden a big man rushes at you and grabs your arms, pinning them to your sides. You struggle against him. "What are you doing?! Who are you!? Get away from me!" You yell and kick at the perpetrator.

 All you can think of is your unborn child and you fight harder. 

The man picks you up and throws you down, hard. Your head cracks against the kitchen floor, making your vision go blurry and spots blink in and out. 

You fight for consciousness as the man looms closer. "Chen ..."  You croak.

A loud bang resonates through the house and the man suddenly falls next to you, blood splattering on you. Standing behind him was Chen, holding a still smoking gun. 

The man holding the gun looked like your boyfriend but you didn't recognize those eyes. Those were the eyes of a cold, calculated killer. The eyes of someone who knew what he was doing and who had done this many times before.  

"C-chen? W-where did you learn to shoot a gun?"  You scrambled back away from your boyfriend and the now cooling body of your attacker. Chen takes a step towards you and reaches his free hand out. 

"Y/N are you okay? Did he hurt you?" His eyes changed, now back to your Chen, full of concern for you. You ignore him and your eyes flick to the gun still in his hand. He notices you looking at the gun and puts it down on the counter.

"A-ah about that ..." He steps closer to you, grabbing your hands and pulling you up to your feet. "I'm so so sorry Y / N ... I didn't want any of this to happen to you .. but we have to go now."

Chen grips you tight to keep you upright. "W-what do you mean?" You ask, head still hurting. 

"I can't explain now but I can later. But right now we need to leave. Are you okay? Can you walk?" He pulls away so he can inspect you. You nod. "Yeah, I'm okay, just shaken up."