An unoriginal love story

An Unoriginal love story

By: Jorgie Elizabeth

A short story about teeth.

Being his neighbor I was designated to bring him to the dentist. Our Mom's are coworkers and so we have known each other ever since I moved. When my parents got divorced we moved out here. I was only 7 when that happened so he is one of my first friends.

We used to be inseparable.

As the years went on we grew apart. He became the star athlete of our school. While I became the nerdiest nerd at that school.

Today he has to get his wisdom teeth removed.

I showed up at his house and knocked on his door.

There was a bunch of rustling behind the door. I could hear all the locks unclick. Then the door opened to show the tan skinned man. He had absolutely nothing on but a pair of boxers.

"You're here already. Could you give me a second to get ready?" He asked flashing that impossibly perfect smile.

"Yeah, just hurry up." I'm trying to sound nonchalant, but the way the morning sun glistened on his abs was AMAZING.

When we were in middle school I had a hardcore crush on him. I would get so flustered when he would talk to me. It all ended when he started dating Vanessa.

Lets just say I never was on her good side, and knowing her boyfriend personally didn't help.

But she's no good for him. She doesn't come to any of his games, she gets him in trouble with his teachers and friends. He dates her because he likes girls that are blonde with bright blue eyes and are not afraid of a little trouble. Nothing like me.

"Sorry, I am ready now." He said. He locked up the door and we walked out to my car. 'Ole blu' was lookin' super beat down. I mean it looked like junk metal scraped together. It wasn't even blue anymore.

But it will get us there.

"Thanks for doing this." He said, more to the window then to me.

"Did your mom tell you to say that?" I asked bluntly. There was no way he would say that on his own.

"Yeah. But I really am thankful."

Sure.

"Why isn't your girlfriend driving you?" Probably because she is getting her nails done and doesn't want her chauffeur to go through all that trouble.

"We broke up."

Ha, that makes the 8th time this week. Tonight she'll call back saying she didn't mean to dump him and she really wants him back.

And he'll just take her back.

Because that's love.

"What was it about this time? You wore the wrong shirt to her party? Was it the shoes?"

He chuckled.

It was the truest laugh I have heard from him in a while.

"No. I broke up with her this time." He was still looking out the window. But I could tell he was smiling.

"You finally put on your big boy pants? Wow, congrats."

"Why is that so surprising?" He snapped at me. I didn't mean to make him get all defensive, but this has been going on since we were freshmen.

And next week is my first week at college.

We didn't talk the rest of the way there.

We finally pulled up to the dentists office, after what felt like years without talking.