01. The Sorting Hat

Hogwarts stood before them in all its grandeur, an awe-inspiring sight that eclipsed any of the fantastical tales the eleven-year-olds had ever heard

Hogwarts stood before them in all its grandeur, an awe-inspiring sight that eclipsed any of the fantastical tales the eleven-year-olds had ever heard. They had listened to stories spun by older siblings and parents, but nothing could have prepared them for the overwhelming splendor of the castle. Reality, in this case, outstripped even the wildest dreams of their young imaginations.

Fiona Diggory stood at its threshold, her heart pounding in her chest. This was the beginning.

The first-year students were gathered in a small antechamber just off the entrance hall, their nervous whispers flickering through the room like a current of anxious energy. Fiona stood beside her twin brother, Cedric, her arm linked through his as she clutched her cane. His presence was an anchor, keeping her steady in the swirl of uncertainty. For a brief moment, she could almost forget the cane—almost forget the difference that had always set her apart.

The door creaked open, and the quiet hum of voices stilled. Professor McGonagall appeared in the doorway, her emerald robes flowing behind her with a regal grace.

"We are ready for you," she said, her voice crisp. The murmurs stopped entirely, and a hush settled over the gathered students as they formed a nervous line.

The first-years shuffled forward, their movements slow and halting. Fiona felt Cedric's arm tighten around hers. She gripped her cane harder, trying to match his calm as they followed Professor McGonagall through the echoing halls, the air cool against their skin.

When they entered the Great Hall, Fiona felt the vastness of the space pressing down on her. Though she couldn't see the enchanted ceiling or the floating candles, the sound of footsteps and whispers stretched into the air, fading into the distance. It was like standing at the edge of something ancient and immense, making her feel impossibly small.

The older students were already seated at the long house tables, their eyes on the new arrivals. Fiona could feel their stares. Her cane tapped lightly against the stone floor, louder in the silence.

"Our brother Charlie said the Sorting's brutal," a voice hissed behind her, laced with the thin edge of fear dressed as bravado.

Fiona felt her shoulders stiffen, her grip on Cedric's arm tightening. Could she pass? Would she be worthy of any house?

"Brutal? That's one word for it," came another voice, this one smoother. "I heard Bill had to wrestle a troll just to get into Gryffindor."

"Wrestle a troll?" yet another new voice asked, wavering.

"Please," the first voice chimed in, dripping with mock nonchalance. "That was easy. The hard part is when they make you duel a professor blindfolded. I mean, one boy didn't even last through Flitwick's first spell. Boom, out cold!"

Cedric glanced back toward Fred and George Weasley, the twins grinning like Cheshire cats. Their exaggerated whispers spread like wildfire, igniting nervous laughter.