The Infection- Extinguished

Prologue 

I stared at Emily blankly, unsure of what I had done. Fragments of the mineral were spread across the slick floor. I was responsible for this. In fact, I was accountable for everything that happened to Evergreen High, the Headquarter of Space Exploration in LA, and a Bugatti. Yes, a Bugatti.

Below my feet were the remains of a supernatural rock. One that had given me superpowers, that later helped me destroy a Bugatti.

I had gone through so much trouble to destroy this single thing, like shoot at the police, break a wall, take down a lamppost, and destroy a Bugatti, owing a stranger half a million dollars. Who knew a 16-year old could do such damage.

Behind me, this psycho scientist was down, fainted from the sudden loss of energy. He had injected me with this weird fluid, giving me the powers. He had tried it on himself, but he couldn’t control it. Little did he know that the rock contained a virus.

The Berry Virus.

Chapter 1: The Departure

I held a piece of fragment in my hand as we walked out of the laboratory. I wasn’t sure what to do now. It was five; about time that I returned home. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and dialed an Uber. Within minutes, a black Toyota Camry parked at the curb. I invited Emily into the back with me.

The French driver asked for our location. He did not notice our stench or dirtiness. I responded, “1214 Redwood Drive.” He was unsure at first, so he dialed the address on his GPS. He charged us beforehand for $20. I pulled out my wallet, finding only five. Emily noticed this, so she took out her own. Ten dollar bills were stacked neatly in the back. She pulled out twenty dollars and offered to pay for the both of us.

“Thanks,” I said generously. “You’re too kind.”

--- 20 Minutes Later---

We arrived at Emily’s place, twenty-five houses down the road from mine. The front yard was neatly trimmed, with a decorative rocking bench at the side. The entrance to her house was splendid. The door itself was distracting; a combination of Sequoia and transparent glass.

When I turned around, I had just noticed that she was sitting on the rocking bench. I casually walked forward, attempting to ask, “What happened now?” Emily was calm, but she seemed blank, empty for words. She was sitting off to one side of the bench, staring off into the distance. I sat down next to her, unsure if I would make her any grumpier than how she was then. She began to speak, mumbling on her first words. “So, um, I meant to ask you, uh,” she asked, unsure of her own words. “Do you happen to, uh, like anyone?”

At first, I thought she was kidding or trying to cheer us up, but she kept a serious face. “Kind of… She goes to my school and stuff…” I answered hesitantly. I continued our conversation with a stupid question. “So, how is it with Bryan?”

Idiot! I thought to myself. Of course he’s gone by now. What kind of questioned that? I expected her to break-down or punch me or something, but she remained calm, almost giggling at my question.

“He’s gone now, there’s no point in crying. Besides, we were never in a true relationship. He liked me. I didn’t like him that much.”

I looked at her strangely, as if she said a bad word. I did not see that coming. I was shocked, but my senses were tingly-- not in the creepy way, but a hopeful manner. See, I liked her, since the fifth grade.