Chapter: 1

I have been dreaming of this day for years. My first day as a senior in high school.  In just a couple months I will be able to leave this small town where everyone knows everything about me because I'm a stupid Evans, and get a clean slate. A fresh start. Just imagine, in a couple months, I'll be able to walk down the street, and meet people who have never heard the name Asena Evans in their life. People who have no idea my father is the mayor. People who want to be friends with me, no strings attached. This is my last year being Asena Evans, daughter of the Mayor of Maidwood. This is my first day of my final year. And it's going to be a great year. 

I smiled as I felt the morning sunshine kiss my skin when the house maid Francesca came in to open my window. "Waking up and seeing the morning sun is the best way to send the darkness and worries of the night away!" She said softly in a singsong voice, like she had said every morning since I was 7 and she had come to work at our house. I smiled at the familiar words and got up. Francesca is like an older sister to me. My parents are very busy people so I spent a lot of time with Francesca since I was a young girl. My dad Michael Evans is the Mayor of Maidwood, after all. He spends most of his time at his office meeting with important people, sending out emails or being on the phone shouting at people. My mom Penelope Evans doesn't spend much time at home either, she organizes a lot of events for the town, and is the most active mom of the PTA at school. She also meets with the city council, being one of the representatives of the Evans family and all. The four founding families of Maidwood are the Bakers (my mom's family), the Evans (my dad's family), the Lancaster family and the Knight family. My parents are the representatives of the Evans family and my aunt Jane is the representative for the Bakers. The Evans had most of their money because they had always played the leading role of the town, all my ancestors had been the mayors. It was in our blood. The Bakers did the marketing. My mom's side of the family owned most shops in Maidwood. They managed the sales in the town, they were the treasurers. The Knights worked in real estate, they were owners of most property in the town. The schools, hospital, parks and most houses in the town belonged to the Knight heritage or had been funded by them, which instantly gave them power over everywhere they walked. Then you had the Lancaster family. Some say they're only considered as founders by luck, because they didn't deserve it. The Lancasters are a founding family because they supported my ancestors through the building of the town. They were there to help and advise my ancestors, when they needed it most. So, the Evans rewarded their loyalty with the title. I think that the Lancaster family deserved everything they had, they worked just as hard as anyone. 

I opened my wardrobe and picked out an outfit, a green and black flannel shirt with black pants. I tied a knot at the end of the shirt in hopes of making it look more put together, regretting that choice almost immediately and instead just left it hanging. I let my brown curls fall naturally down my back, I really didn't want to attract any attention towards me, so a simple look should do the trick. I smiled at myself in the mirror and went to the bathroom to finish myself. 

I hadn't even eaten half of my breakfast when I heard a loud car honk coming from outside. It could only be one person: Brina Lancaster. I quickly emptied my glass of milk and ran outside ready to greet my best friend. I smiled as I saw Brina looking as stunning as ever in her new red convertible. Brina had been ecstatic the day she had gotten the car, and ever since that, she hadn't allowed me to take a single bus ride. Her twin brother gave me a shy smile as he gestured for me to take the front seat. Brina and I were complete opposites, she liked to be in the spotlight and to have huge and eye-catching things, I liked to stick more to the side-lines. That was probably one of the reasons we got along so much; I always let her take my undesired attention. "Hey! Is it a scratch I see on the hood of your  car?" I asked her, pretending to seem scandalized. Her eyes opened wide filled with worry, Brina quickly jumped out of the car and went to inspect the hood herself, almost falling on the way. "OH MY GOD! WHERE? Crap, how did I get a scratch?" She shrieked, trying to find the non-existing scratch. I laughed at her and let myself sink into the comfortable leather seat, fist bumping Max. "ASENA PENELOPE EVANS! You are so annoying!! I was so worried I had gotten a scratch on my baby, you're so getting pay-back!" She scolded me as she got back into the driver's seat. I just continued laughing with her brother.