In The Nick of Time

TRIGGER WARNING ALERT! READ WITH CAUTIOUS!

--------------

"Hello?

Hello?

Damnit!

Hello? Can you here me?

Hellooo....?" She groaned as her call disconnect for the sixth time in a row.

"That's it! I'm gonna change the line. This isn't going to work" she hopelessly turned her phone front and back, twitching her lips to a side.

Terrible network had been regular lately that it happened every time they set a time to talk. Today she thought she would call again but not at the usual time. Even that wasn't successful.

She stared at her phone and caressed the picture displayed on her home screen. The sinking heart was so deep, she felt difficult to breath. Tears started swelling in her eyes as her lips curved downward.

If the voice hadn't invaded her breakdown moment she would have burst into tears making it a terrible scene in the birthday party she attended.

"Monica!" The sweet voice called her again and sat by her side enveloping her in a hug.

That was Monica's close friend, Stella. They had known each other since diapers. No one can ever understand Monica like Stella does. The moment she caught the glimpse of Monica slipping away from the party, she knew something isn't right. 

"The call didn't go through again?" She asked keeping Monica engulfed in her hold.

She nodded, the tears were forming once again.

"Shh... It's okay. That's just the network problem honey. You get the line soon. Trust me" she cooed softly.

"Now let's wipe the tears off and enjoy the party meanwhile. They are gonna cut the cake soon" she wiped off the tears with her hands and grabbed Monica's hand joining the crowd.

Despite the party being all happening and enjoyable, Monica's attention was still on her phone that never beeped or ringed. She heaved a sigh and roamed around the event area mindlessly. Feeling exhausted, she return to the hall which she assumed to be the party hall and took a seat by the staircase leading to the second floor. 

"Hey! What's up?" Thomas Ethan, her once a upon a time forgotten crush meander towards her. 

Monica remained quiet. She rather not speak to anyone. It would only infuriate her even more.

"I heard Stella and Faizous talking about you can't get the network connected?" he asked curiously. The slight smile appeared on his lips vanished as quickly as it came. 

"Thomas. I'm not in a mood to have a talk with you. Can you please leave me alone?" She requested without looking at him.

"Oh, I do wish to do that but seeing you breaking down isn't making me feel any better. My conscience will kill me if I don't help you" he spoke with utmost concern and care, anyone who doesn't know him would fall for his words.