Chapter Nine: Desert Dreaming

Desert Dreaming

Gwen-Stacey looked up at the black statue of Anubis. It really was quite impressive, even now, so many thousands of years after its initial construction. How had the ancient Egyptians managed such feats of greatness without the aid of modern technology? It simply boggled the mind.  

A loud thud made her jump as she wheeled around. “Alright Avelyn, here’s all the stuff we have left, but since most of the equipment was on the boat, it’s not much.”

That was her name in this dream, Avelyn. Avelyn Callahan.

Avelyn looked over at the slightly annoying, wickedly handsome American. Goodness, Erick O’Donnell really was quite the impressive specimen. Tall and broad, with dark brown hair that fell ever so slightly over his forehead. She still couldn’t believe she’d saved him from that horrible prison. He was pretty horrid looking then, but now…oh, now he was anything but. She found herself staring at him and wondering how his lips would feel against hers again. Their first kiss had been so quick, she’d barely had time to enjoy it. It was such a simple little thing really, but it was enough to startle her down to her sensible shoes.

Thank goodness she wasn’t the type of woman to allow such amorous maneuvers to interfere with her lofty goals. She was a woman who prided herself in keeping her head on straight, even if it were often buried in the sand as her brother often complained. Still, she was going to prove to those academic modern-day mummies that she was smart enough for their scholarly association. She was done waiting around for their approval to get out into the field. She was doing it at this very moment. Lucky for her Jonathan’s antics had actually proven useful this time. She would have never been able to discover the location of Hamunaptra on her own. Even with all the massive amounts of information at the library she was currently employed at. No, it had taken this uncouth stranger's sudden appearance in her life to ensure an adventure so grand.

Perhaps he would continue to do so in the future. The thought was a little...exciting.

"Thank you Mr. O’Donnell. I think I can take it from here,” she nodded, trying to present a professional demeanor once again.

Avelyn bent down, giving Erick a nice view of her rear, picked up a small digging tool and went to work

Morpheus studied Gwen-Stacey for a long minute, one side of his mouth going up in a quick smile. She loved this movie. It was one of her all-time favorites. He knew from his research into her mind she’d watched it over and over again, until she had each scene memorized by heart. She never wanted to lose any of the detail once her vision was completely gone. Now, in her dream, every aspect was perfect.

He prided himself on weaving a great dream for any dreamer, but Gwen-Stacey (or Avelyn in this case) had fine tuned even his own setting until it was just right. Every detail was designed to emulate the exact specifications of the original Hollywood blockbuster movie. It was rare for a dreamer to be able to override what he’d created, but it wasn’t impossible. Morpheus wasn’t the least bit surprised Gwen-Stacey was capable of such a feat.

It would be interesting to see what she would make of the wild cards he’d thrown in for just to make things fun. Wild cards that would keep her guessing and ensure she would have to think quickly on her feet. It wouldn't be long now.

Sure enough the Magi order was soon upon them.

Time to rock and roll Morpheus grinned, readying himself for the fight ahead.

~~ ~