The Ceremony

The Ceremony

A Short Story by Clarke Stewart

            October 31 was a day of momentous occasion in the town of Stonebrook.  At dusk, all of the two hundred and seven members of the small, mountain town would gather for a night of festivities.  Bonfire smoke, laughter, and camaraderie would soon fill the air.  The Ceremony was a festival of sort, and it was easily the town's greatest event of the year.  No one would dare miss such an important night. 

            The Morris Family was the first to arrive in the clearing.  Immediately, the two youngest boys, Phillip and Rhys, ran into the nearby woods to begin a soon to be growing game of cops and robbers.  Mrs. Morris watched her two youngest run off into the woods and sighed- they would not be willing to return when it was time for The Ceremony.  Unwillingly accepting this as fact, Mrs. Morris turned to her only daughter, Elizabeth, "Come, Elizabeth.  We must begin the preparations." 

          Mrs. Morris then consulted her husband, "Do you think James and the others will make it on time?"  James was the oldest of the Morris children and was closely tied to the success of The Ceremony. 

          "Don't worry, my dear," said Mr. Morris.  "He and the other officers will arrive on time.  James loves you deeply and would never risk ruining such a special night."

--------------------

            "Son, I have to be able to trust you.  No matter wh-" the voice started only to be interrupted. 

          "I'll finish the job, Chief.  I always finish the job"

            "I don't think you understand, boy.  This will be your toughest assignment yet.  You cannot allow your emotions to effect you decisions.  You must harden your shell.  Otherwise, The Ceremony will fail, and the town will not be safe.  This mission, this ceremony, is more important than any one life."

            "Why are you questioning my commitment, Sir?  I understand the importance of The Ceremony and the dire consequences should it go incomplete.  Nothing will hinder me.  I will protect the town."  The young officer angrily left the office to prepare himself for his mission.

                     The chief continued in his thoughts for several moments after his door slammed shut.  As he stood to leave, the chief uttered to himself, "I hope I can trust you, James.  I really hope I can."  The chief strapped on his gun.

--------------------

            "Welcome!  Welcome everybody!" spoke Mayor Stewartson, "I hope everyone is having a spectacular time at this year's Ceremony!"  

              While the Mayor continued his overly rehearsed speech, Mrs. Andrews turned to Mrs. Morris, "Martha, this is the best ceremony I have seen in years!  You out did yourself with the food, the decorations, and that bonfire!  You must have had your husband collecting firewood for weeks.  That new town sign is marvelous as well."

                "Thank you, Clarke.  But The Ceremony is not over yet.  James still has not arrived!  If he doesn't make it in time, then I just don't know what will happen!"

              "Oh, Martha, hush.  That boy of yours is the best thing that ever happened to this town.  James won't let it, or you, down."

                  The mayor came to the end of his speech, "And now, here is Martha Morris, the woman you elected to organize this historic event, to remind us all of The Ceremony's significance."