Our Legacy

There was a story that my mother told me once, about a quirk named Half for One. Even though it was 22 years ago, I still remember it like it only happened a few minutes ago.

It was time for everyone to go to bed, well, us kids anyway. Me, my twin brother Shigeo, ran up the stairs to our rooms. Our baby sister, Ari, was already asleep, at the time, she was only three months old.

I raced to my bed and climbed under the covers, and immediately started to slow down my breathing. By the time my mother peeked into the room, I looked like I was actually asleep. I could hear my mother chuckling softly as she came to the side of my bed and leaned down to kiss my forehead.

Right at that moment I opened my eyes and started laughing, "Surprise!"

My mother laughed softly and gave me a soft smile as she sat on space between me and the edge of the bed. "You are getting really good at pretending. I actually thought you were asleep," She sounded proud of me, like I won a metal or something.

I giggled and said, "Thanks, Mama."

She chuckled before her smile turned into a sad one, as she looked down in shame. "I'm sorry me nor your father have come in to tell you and Shigeo a bed time story," she said apologetically.

I sat up straight and grabbed her hand as I looked at her. She looked down at them, and then at me and gave a sad smile. I could sense that something was up, but I didn't question it. I gave my mother a smile before saying, "You don't have to be sorry. I know that you and daddy are really busy with Ari-Chan. You both need your sleep, and I understand that. ... When we are able to train together again, you and daddy are going to be proud of what me and Shigeo can do."

Since my parents were always busy with Ari since she came into the world, Shigeo and I would train on our quirks that we had at the time, in the backyard. We both thought that if we continued to train without our parents, then we could full fill their dream of becoming some of the strongest heroes when we graduated high school.

Our parents had started to teach us how to speak since we were only six months old, and we participated in adult conversations with knowing everything that they were saying. They started teaching us how to use our quirks since we first showed signs of them. Our parents wanted us to become smart and fully aware of what we were doing at all times.

My mother looked at me with surprise and a tear fell down her cheek. She pulled her hand away from mine and gave me a tight hug. Warm tears started to drip down on to my shoulder as I could hear my mother sobbing. I remember thinking, 'Why is she crying?'

I hugged her back, trying to calm her down. When she was done she pulled away from me and wiped her tears off her face before looking at me. "How about I tell you our family legacy?" She asked softly, and a bit shaky.

"We have a legacy?" I asked, clearly interested on the topic.

My mother gave a sad chuckle and put her hand on my head and started rubbing it. I laid back down and waited for my mother to start telling me about it while she looked down as she pulled her hand away from me.