Intro.

I sit. Waiting for him to come home as the last bit of sunlight enters the room. The room has a orange glow because of it. The door opens and he steps in, uniform on. Tears fill my eyes. This is it. He's going away. And it hurts, but I get him. I get up from my chair but I don't get further then a couple of steps. He walks up to me and hugs me. His embrace, normally calming, creates an ache in my chest. A hole that I don't know. It's quiet. My face pressed against his shoulder as my arms wrap around his chest. His smell. His warmth. Him...

Everything I care about, and everything I have to lose.

...The bullseye of the enemy...

We stand there. Minutes pass by, never wanting to let go. But when I do, something breaks. Something snaps, making me break down. cry, and sob. I hold my hand against my chest, clawing at it as I try to get the aching to stop. He kneels down. This soft and calm expression on his face. Like a dream. It's all like a dream.

That evening we go to bed. I lay awake, watching the hours go by. I stare at him as he sleeps. Looking at every inch of his face in the hopes that I'll remember it forever. When the alarm goes off I'm still awake. He groans and turns around.

He left. Deployed.

The silence.

The emptiness.

The fear.

At work. Every day I hope he's not one of them. Not one of the men that get brought in.

Not one of the wounded. Not one of the dead.

Every day the same stress.

Every evening shaking with fear.

Another day.

Most of the men of his squadron are in here. Wounded. Some on the edge of life and death.

It's only waiting for the inevitable.

Then the day comes. I get called awake. They need my help at the medical bay. Something tells me this isn't right. Something tells me that this is it.

I get in the Jeep that's waiting for me at the gate. The man drives. No. Races, to the place I need to be at. Before the Jeep stops completely I get out. I run inside. So many people. So many wounded. Not even five minutes inside, I'm running around and doing my job, with that fear rising in my chest, scared to death that I'd find him here. He's not here...

But then...

my life stops. It's on hold.

Every sound.

Every beep

Every scream in agony.

...Silent...

I watch as the blood drains from my face.

Het gets brought in.

Blood everywhere

Pale skin.

The expression of pure pain.

One arm and shoulder completely ripped open. A deep cut in his chest.

They stop next to me. The clipboard dropping out of my hand.

He looks up and smiles.

Through all of his pain...

He smiles.

It's terrifying.