Chapter One

I collapse onto the rough surface that is my bed after a long day of stealing grapes. My bouncehouse, the only shelter I could find after I ran away from my family in Wyoming, resides hidden in a forest near a vineyard. I scavenge grapes from the old guy who lives there.

You may be wondering, 'Why the heck did this girl run away from her parents to live in a bouncehouse?" Well, it's a long story.

My name is Claudette Radney, but I changed it to River Jones when I ran. My parents were strangers who they only sometimes let me outside, so I made a plan to leave when I was ten.

It took two years to complete the plan, but it's definately worth it because living on my own is so much better than living with those two idiots. The only food I know is edible are the stolen grapes and my home is an old bouncehouse, but at least I'm free.

Inside my little house I have two rooms, separated from each other by a big plastic sheet built into the bouncehouse walls. The first room is the kitchen and the second room is my bedroom.

The house itself, of course, is deflated, held up by the branches of trees and weighted down by big rocks I put around the inner perimeter. It's not good for much, but it's an excellent rain shelter.

My bed is a bunch of pine needles covered by an old sheet that's pinned down by rocks. The few clothes I brought with me hang on a long string on the other side of the room.

The kitchen is just a plate, a bowl and a cup, all of which are filled with grapes. I plan to make them into grape juice because it lasts longer.

Back in my bed, I punch the pillow I also brought in frustration. I had planned to break into the old vineyard owner's house to steal a shirt today. All my shirts are old and disgusting and I want a new one.

Oh well. Maybe I can do it tonight. Yes, that's what I'll do. I'll sneak into his basement, which is where he keeps laundry, and steal an old shirt or two.

Man, I'm a genious.