Haunted Dreams Series, Book 1

Hey Wattpaders! I'm posting the first chapter of Haunting Nathan by Lillie J. Roberts. It's available on Amazon for 99¢!! A bargain!! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing it :)

Haunting Nathan, Book 1 of the Haunted Dreams Series

by Lillie J. Roberts

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Chapter Three

Chapter Four

Chapter Five

Chapter Six

Chapter Seven

Chapter Eight

Chapter Nine

Chapter Ten

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Twelve

And the socket floats and flares,

And the house-beams groan

And a foot unknown

Is surmised on the garret stairs

And the locks slip unawares...

Mesmerism – Robert Browning

Chapter One

Ande Conners wandered from room to room. How long would she be doomed to haunt this place? When her parents had suggested buying a house where she could live rent free while in college, she'd been ecstatic. Back then, she had no idea it would mean she'd be stuck in the small apartment forever. She paced from one window to the next, unseen.

She'd given up trying to escape her old apartment, because being outside frightened her more than being inside. The world had changed since her death. At least here, in the rooms she haunted, she knew what to expect. New people moved in and out around her, too many to count.

She didn't mean to terrify the new tenants; she didn't mind sharing. In fact, it broke up her mundane existence. Except for that one lady back in the nineties. She'd brought a psychic over, demanding the apartment be exorcised. The wild-red-haired woman had wandered about, mumbling to herself, burning smelly incense, and chanting nonsense. When Ande touched her, she'd screamed like she'd been stabbed. She'd run from the apartment, only to return the next day, claiming she'd found a way to rid the place of its ghostly parasite. Ande hadn't cared much for being called an infestation, but still she'd waited in anticipation, hoping she'd be released from her prison.

Only the woman did weird stuff like pouring salt in the doorways and on the window ledges before shouting she had the spirit caged. But it was funny, because Ande didn't feel caged or barred into any kind of space. She was as free as ever. The woman then threw more salt in a circle in front of herself and the tenant. Ande could still hear her. “Satan, I have your emissary imprisoned within this salted enclosure.”

She'd watched the whole thing with sort of a morbid fascination from the other side of the room. Then the woman crossed herself, pulled out an old dust buster, and sucked up the salt. Beyond strange.

“I have it, trapped!” the woman exclaimed, and the tenant clapped her hands, squealing with excitement. Ande could only shake her head. What a waste. That tenant didn't make it to the end of the month.