Love in a Cup of Espresso

For most, sipping a coffee near the window of a coffee shop on a rainy day could be considered a heaven-like feeling, ironically because of the sentimentality, it brings. Well, it could be, for him. If only he is on a different day, in a different situation, in a different body, or in a different life.

He took another sip of his espresso (the only one he could afford on the menu board—which, still, is way over his budget), looked outside the window, and pondered how could he manage to get up from this pitfall he's into right now. He's not really the type of person who would go deeper on a particular problem. He likes everything to be over as soon as possible. But then, this new problem (one of his many more pending problems) he has is quite unbearable. God, I'm so lucky. He sarcastically told himself and smiled. He'd like to empty his mind for now. Even just for now. He'd like to enjoy this coffee he has right now that he bought from a fancy coffee shop while looking at the gloomy weather outside. But heck, it only added to his misery right now.

Ugh! If it wasn't for this rain, he wouldn't be here right now in this coffee shop, drinking a very big-ticket coffee. He could have saved the money and he could still find new ways where to get an extra income. Everything is just so perfect.

He can't clear his thoughts, he decided. So, he continued thinking of alternatives as to where he could get money! He needs his problem to be solved right away! Well, he could borrow from his best friend that's for sure. But he has borrowed enough already. He still has a huge balance amount that hasn't been paid yet. What now? Well, he still has another choice. He could contact his father abroad and everything will be done! But of course, he would never do that. He would never ask for help from him. He was the main cause of every problem he has right now.

He was still busy contemplating his miserable life when he received a text from his sister. He even had second thoughts about whether he'll pick his phone or not. Heck! This is a very classy coffee shop so probably every person inside—except for him—is damn rich! He's quite shy to show everyone his very cheap phone. But he came to a decision that he really should. Anyways, the hell they care? They could not help him with his problem.

Bro, we really need money right now. The hospital won't start treating mom unless they are sure of the money. He frowned as soon as he finished reading the text. He took a deep breath and kept his phone without even replying to her sister.

Damn, this rain. When it poured earlier, the rain, out of nowhere, all the sheds were immediately occupied. And this neighborhood he's into right now's not quite friendly, hence, every shop will kick you out as soon as they realized you are only there for the roof. This coffee is the only place he thought he could buy something he could afford. He sighed. His cup is now half empty and the rain isn't stopping yet. In fact, it even gets stronger and stronger.

"Hey, uhm can I sit here?" He was pulled away from his thoughts when he heard a woman's voice. He looked at her. He smiled and nodded. The woman then pulled a chair out and sat.

"Thank you. Every table here is already occupied." Based on her looks, he could say she's almost the same age as him. Maybe she's a year younger or so. She's wearing a nice dress under a furry coat and is carrying a case of what looks like a violin or a cello or whatever. He could say that she's rich based on her posture and the way she moves plus she's in this coffee shop unless she's just like him—a miserable person searching for a roof.

He just smiled and turned his head back to the window. After a few minutes, a waitress came to their table, serving the woman's food. Oh, god. This woman has a very empty stomach. There were one, two, three, four, five different types of bread or cake or whatever served in their table and a cup of coffee. Their table almost went out of space. She also let out her iPad.