Snowflakes And Chocolate

Ivy stood on her tiptoes as she reached up to pin the end of the string of pine to the side of the doorway. It was her responsibility to decorate the family bakery each year for the holidays, and she absolutely loved it. Christmas was her favorite holiday, filled with such joy and happiness. If it was up to her, she'd start decorating the bakery the day after Halloween. But alas, her mother always made her wait till December, being the female Scrooge that she was.

As soon as the string of pine was secure, Ivy dropped down to her usual height, feeling her toes cramp up. She stepped back onto the sidewalk to admire her handiwork, and smiled. She'd stayed up late last night finishing the string of pine, making sure to create just the right contrast of red holly berries to green pine.

"You know," Ivy heard a deep voice behind her say, "those decorations possess a remarkable resemblance to you, Ivy." She smiled, not bothering to turn around. She'd know that voice anywhere.

"Mm? And how's that?" she replied. Two strong arms wrapped around her waist from behind.

"They're beautiful," the voice said. Ivy felt him lean in until his lips were grazing her ear. "Just like you."

Ivy couldn't help the smile that slowly spread across her face. She turned in the arms that still held her and came face to face with her amazing boyfriend. Theo was smiling down at her, his cheeks a light shade of pink from the cold. "Why, thank you, good sir," Ivy said to him. "Tell me, what is your name?"

"Theodore Walden, my lady." Theo stepped back and bowed down low to Ivy, causing amused smiles to form on the faces of passerby.

"Mr. Walden, would you care to join me for a mug of hot chocolate?" Ivy asked, giggling at his formal manner.

"I would enjoy that very much, miss."

Ivy laughed as she dragged him inside the bakery, the bells over the door chiming merrily. "What are you doing here, Theo? I thought your mom wanted help looking for a Christmas tree."

"I let Dad and Alex help her. Besides, I wanted to see you." He leaned down and kissed her softly. Ivy wanted to melt into his arms and stay there forever, but the moment was soon broken.

"Hey, lover boy," Mrs. Sanders called from behind the counter. "Please save the PDA for somewhere besides my bakery. There's an extra apron on that hook if you're here to help." She gave Theo a pointed look before turning back into the kitchen. Ivy's mother was hard on Theo at times, but Ivy knew she really was fond of him.

"Well, guess I'm here to help," Theo said brightly.

"You know you don't have to," Ivy told him. "It's your choice."

"I know, Ive. I want to help. And besides, the kitchen could always do with some of my magic skills." Theo wiggled his fingers at Ivy and smiled. He really was pretty handy when it came to baking, Ivy had to admit.

"Then get in there before my mother changes her mind," she said, grabbing the apron from the hook and swatting Theo's backside with it.

"Okay, okay, I'm going."

Ivy watched, smiling fondly, as he pushed open the double doors to the kitchen, tying on the apron as he did so.

The bell over the front door jingled, signaling the arrival of a customer. Ivy turned to greet the man with a bright smile. A few minutes later he was walking out the door with his hot cup of coffee and red "Sanders' Baked Delights" paper bag, filled with fresh cinnamon buns.

Mrs. Sanders closed shop early that afternoon, at four o'clock, giving herself time to do some grocery shopping before supper. As soon as she had rounded the corner of the street, Theo drew Ivy closer to him. "Are you coming with me?" he asked, his lips pressed against the top of her head.