Prolouge

50 people stand in a pitch black chamber, all standing in a way that formates an inner circle, and outer. In the center of these two circles lays a circular, hollow disk. None of these people are awake yet.
These five minutes of silence and clarity before the first person wakes up is the most peaceful the chamber will be until the last person standing exits. But nobody has awaken yet. Not a single body is yet aware of the situation. They are still at home, in their beds, maybe on their couches, maybe somewhere else. We can't be sure what their backgrounds are, because, once all those people realize what's really going on, it won't matter anymore. But nobody is awake. For now, it's as quiet as air.
Until someone does wake up.
The first person awake is a red headed young adult woman, in her 19s or 18s. She looks around the room, and is struck with the realization that this is not where she last was. Not where she expected to be.
As expected, she starts to panic, as fear is pretty much all you can expect of a sane person who wakes up in a room of 50 other sleeping people that she's never seen before. She calls out a frantic hello, but nobody answers. She calls out again. Still, no response. Next to her stands a man in a military uniform, sleeping. She taps him, and a loud buzz goes off somewhere in the room. Suddenly, she hears a low, calming voice speak.
"Stop." She looks across to room, and finds the owner of the voice to be a middle aged man.
"Where are we?" The girl feels foolish asking, but figures that she might as well ask.
"Where do you think?" He answers, which means, he's just as unsure as she is. Probably an ego effect. Or maybe she wasn't being rational. She was pretty anxious, after all.
Suddenly, another voice rang out. This one belonged to a woman, maybe a little older than young aged girl.
"Oh my god!" The mans words of comfort did nothing to sooth this lady, however, and she continued her panicking. The young girl thought this to be fair, but still, couldn't she just shut up and listen? This man might be able to help if she just let him speak. Suddenly, the same loud zap from before went off again, only this time, a built of light flashed from inside the central disk. The lady, without another word, crashed to the floor. The girl started at the woman's lifeless body, feeling a strong sense of dread. It was only then, as she slowly registered the rising panic inside of her, that she realized she was shaking. Trembling. She looked up at the man, his expression firm, but scared. "What happened?" The girl asked, so tentatively it was almost a whisper. "She stepped off her platform. I think that's what triggered the shock." The man said cautiously, his eyes never leaving the woman's lifeless frame. "Is she dead?" The girl was really shaking now, fear surrounding her like giant ocean waves. "I think so." The girl could tell the man was trying to seem in control and calm, but there was no mistaking that edge of worry in his voice. Suddenly, a loud beep went off from somewhere in the room. Then, somehow, like a light switch, the darkness disappeared, and suddenly the room was full of light, burning so bright that it was almost like a fire.