Melt My Heart To Stone

Dio was torn. On one hand he was both pleased and impressed with himself. Jonathan had come to him a week ago with the hope of finding "something nice to wear" which wasn't anything new, in all the years they'd been friends Jonathan came to him for lots of things from the mundane, like deciding between which latte he should get at Starbucks to, the more complex favors, like helping him pick his first house. All the same, Dio came through giving each favor his full attention because, it was for Jonathan after all.

Jonathan was by nature severely indecisive, and Dio chalked it up to Jonathan's love for everything, no more was this made apparent than when Jonathan had decided to adopt a dog for the first time something he had been wanting to do for a very long time, and since he graduated University and was settling into his home finally, it was perfect timing.

He'd made a whole day out of it too, as he was naturally enthusiastic and had invited Dio along with him even though he was fully aware of Dio's disdain for animals-dogs especially. Though they both knew this, it didn't stop Dio from going. Not when Jonathan was giving him that look, ironically called "Puppy eyes." And Dio couldn't bring himself to say no.

However, Jonathan's day wasn't as carefree and joyful as he had planned. Turns out adopting a dog, was a lot harder than he had expected, since he could only choose one. A choice that he just could not make.

Adopting just one animal, it was impossible!

Especially when each and every single dog he came in contact with was happily wagging its tail. Every dog just as happy as the last, all wanting the same thing, a home to call their own.

So, regrettably Jonathan decided to leave the dog shelter as since choosing one was out of the question and he couldn't adopt them all as he really wanted to do.

Becoming painfully aware that he didn't have the time, resources, or money to do so. At least, not now. He'd contemplated it however, running his own dog shelter, but Dio like the anti-hero that he was cynically explained that Jonathan couldn't handle dogs dying to disease and natural causes on a regular basis and Jonathan quickly changed his mind.

The death of his childhood dog Danny still fresh in his memories effectively scarring him for years after the fact and having to experience that same instance with hundreds of dogs would probably be the cause of an early death.

It was because of this little trip however, that Dio began to take action for the first time since they'd been friends.

Before this, he had been okay with letting Jonathan and him be just acquaintances, hanging out on occasion and enjoying one another's company. That night though, when

Jonathan struggled to smile for the first time in front of Dio and said goodnight with a voice that shriveled up his already pruned up heart, that Dio did what he was best at and came to a concrete decision.

That's why when Christmas had come around a couple months later, Dio carried out his plan in full and found himself holding an already 20-pound great Dane puppy-2 feet away from him- that mirrored the one in Jonathan's childhood photos.

After a nearly unbearable trip to Jonathan's house, filled with whining, the smell of dog, and wiping drool from the mongrels face every 5 minutes, he almost regretted his decision, but everything pulled back into focus when he watched Jonathan light up like the Christmas tree they'd decorated earlier that month. The mutt took but a single glance at Jonathan dressed in his hideous but, admittedly favorite Christmas sweater that he squeezed into year after year, having grown too much for it, but never quite looking more ridiculous than hot. And just like that, boom!

It was love at first sight.

It was the only time in Dio's life that he understood dogs. He understood when "Danny Jr." -as Jonathan now called him- imprinted himself onto Jonathan because, well, Dio had done the exact same thing.