Twelve Minutes

A letter in the mailbox, an email in her inbox, a text and a phone call all came from the same person on the same day. Sammy hadn't answered any of it, but when a knock woke her at 11:48 PM, she knew by midnight she would most likely be dead. I took her three years to be ok and he just shows back up again. He planned it perfectly, no one in the house but her. September twenty ninth, John's work conference; the husband was gone.
Samantha curled into a ball as the pounding on the door got louder and louder. She couldn't just wait in her bedroom; she made it out, why should she give him the satisfaction of winning when he couldn't even give her love.
The gun was in the office, and all she had to do was get it. That shouldn't be too hard for her, he wasn't even in the house yet, or was he. Sammy was too wrapped in her own thoughts to hear that the banging on the door had stopped. The only thing she saw was the power go out and she knew he was inside.
She couldn't call for help. He was too smart not to see and take her charging phone on the way to the circuit breaker. So many thoughts were consuming her; call the police, get the gun, just wait to die. What could she do? She had to make a decision, and a quick one. She locks her bedroom door and takes a seat on her bed. Samantha had made her decision, wait and die. There was nothing she could do, and she was sick of fighting. This was the final battle of a long war and the other side was attacking unarmed soldiers.
One minute, two minutes, five minutes, eight minutes of his heavy footsteps echoed through the house, getting closer and closer and closer till they stopped. An eerie quiet filled the house and her soul as the clock on the wall hit 11:59 pm. The silence breaks with the door crashing down and his presence filling the room. A gun was pointed at Samantha's head and a smile was planted on his face.
Through a choked up voice Samantha pleaded, " Anthony Please," but a gunshot rang out after her pitiful cry.
" I love you Sammy," and the gun went off for the last time as the clock hit 12:00.