Chapter 1: Unexpected Reunion

Commander Kalto Drigg's peaceful sleep was abruptly disturbed when his communications terminal suddenly beeped repeatedly, leaving him disoriented and dazed. Still groggy from sleep, he asked, "LT, what is this about?".

"Your brother has arrived!" responded LT Amaro with enthusiasm.

Commander Drigg sighed and responded by instructing Lieutenant Wilson to wait in the northern observing area for him while she returned with her plan. Give me just a moment; I'll be with her shortly."

Commander Kalto Drigg of the 7th Kelton Fleet quickly donned his uniform before quickly walking through the corridors towards the northern observing deck. Jhereg had been estranged for twelve long years due to their differing beliefs and life choices; yet out of nowhere he suddenly reached out; leaving Kalto bewildered at what led to this sudden contact between brothers.

As soon as he reached the observing deck, Kalto noticed his twin brother gazing out upon Planet Kelton. Jhereg turned around and with a slight smile commented "I must give you credit; you've achieved much and I never imagined you piloting such a massive ship. Mother would be pleased..."

Commander Drigg was unmoved by this unexpected request for contact and offered no response immediately, responding by saying simply, "Jhereg, what do you want from me now? After 12 years of silence and joining the Lexon Faction last I heard, why are you making contact now for further political rants and arguments? There are more pressing matters at hand."

Jhereg was taken aback when Jhereg told them of the trouble he'd gotten himself into with faction heads, saying, "Yeah, about that... It seems I have run into issues with them; however, this situation isn't as bad as they've made out."

Commander Drigg approached a viewing pane, turning to his brother and telling him, "All right, explain. Unfortunately I don't have much time, so please make it quick.

Jhereg shrugged his feet as he explained his error: "Well, I made an honest mistake when investigating the Lexon faction and unearthing corruption. In order to gather evidence against them, I borrowed one of their ships without notifying them - now they've brought charges against me; as my brother with your status in the Kelton Fleet I thought maybe you could help."

Commander Drigg responded angrily: "Why would I assist you after you deserted your post during a mission and caused me so much grief? And now you've managed to tangle yourself into this tangle - Lexon faction citizens ultimately decide its future, not military."

Jhereg reached for the railing along the wall and spoke directly to Jill: "Remember I mentioned you would pay back all my credits owed for borrowing your ship?

"That would be theft," replied Commander Drigg.

Jhereg nodded sheepishly and said, "Yes. Anyway, if you could cover the costs associated with my ship I would be extremely appreciative!"

Kalto sighed and said, "So now that you've spent down your inheritance, do you expect me to come save you?"

Jhereg tentatively placed her hands on the railing and made an appeal: "Brother, we may have our differences but family is supposed to support each other during difficult times. Please understand."

Kalto met his brother's gaze with impatience, explaining, "That depends on whom you ask. Unfortunately, I don't have time right now; we can discuss this later; for now I'll arrange guest quarters."

Will that work?" "Let's keep working until we resolve this matter. Does that sound acceptable to you?"

Jhereg nodded reluctantly and asked: "OK. So when can I get a tour?"

Commander Drigg's face softened as he realized there was still a strong familial bond present between them, even amid their differences. He offered a tour tomorrow but cautioned, "Remember Jhereg, your actions have consequences and these won't simply go away without resolution. Together we will find ways to address it but you need to face up to these."

Jhereg nodded in understanding of his actions. Now was the time for them to navigate the complex relationship they shared, while meeting challenges head-on that lay ahead. Little did they realize that this unexpected reunion would set them on an unexpected journey full of secrets and testing bonds of brotherhood like never before.