Chapter 1

My life hasn't been the easiest, I should say. A mother who is out of place, out of mind, out of body. A father who isn't around, a mother's pig of a boyfriend, a sister who is also on drugs and alcohol, and me; a girl who just wants to be free. Free of this family. 

I sigh a long, sorrowful sigh. Trying to hold back the tears, I get up for the day.  6:30 AM blinks the red light of my alarm clock. I hit the off button and swing my legs over the side of the bed. My sister barges in and goes to my closet. 

"Morning, Tera." I say, glumly. She says nothing as she finds a shirt that I really like and runs out of the room. Sigh. She always takes something she knows I like. I stretch and hop up, a little too quickly. I grip my desk for support, shaking my head. My tummy rumbled and I remembered that I didn't get to eat dinner last night, because I wasn't allowed too. My mother's boyfriend, Lance, thought I was too fat and that I needed to miss a meal. Last time I weighed myself, I was around 95 pounds. Mind you, I'm 5 foot and 4 inches. 

When I first met Lance, it was just after 5th grade year finished. I was 5 feet exactly and when he started his whole routine of making miss meals, I was maybe 125 with a little bit of a belly. Hey, I was kid and loved candy and sweets. Once he found that out, he made sure I couldn't eat anything sweet ever again and I haven't had any in years. Well, at home, anyways.

"Hey, Keira, why is this shirt so big?" Tera had returned with my shirt. It wasn't so big a moment ago. It was slightly big on me because of my drastic weight loss, but Tera was like 200 pounds now by how much she eats and she has been recently stretching out all my shirts. 

"Um..." I try to think of what to say. But she smirks and throws it at me.

"It's because you are so fat, you fucking fat dumbass!" She laughs, maniacally and trots off. I take a look at my shirt. Great. Another one for the garbage. I walk over to my "clothes trashcan"of a laundry basket and toss the shirt in there. I go over to my mirror that is slightly cracked from the time Lance threw me into it. 

That was the day he was mad at me for taking one of his donuts. His donuts are his and he stashes them away. But I was so hungry that day because it wasn't a school day and he was starving me. I wasn't allowed to eat at all that day. I took only one donut. But he found out his new stash, from which I stole from, was completely gone. If I recall, Tera was in the doorway snickering when she saw him throw me. She was also scarfing down one of his donuts. So I know she did it, but I'm constantly blamed for everything. 

I brush my hair quickly, trying to ignore my reflection. There were dark circles around my eyes from the lack of sleep, and the dead look in my eyes made me look very sick and to be honest I feel sick everyday. Physically and emotionally. I pull my hair into a neat ponytail and get dressed in clothes that fit me the best. One plain black t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I put on my only belt just in case and make sure my reflection looks okay. Putting on my hoodie and grabbing my books, I put them into my bag and made sure I have everything before I walk out the door. Bracing myself, I check the time quickly. 7 am. Good. They are still sleeping. No doubt my sister conked out from a hit from her bong. I sneak past her room and my mother's. The house is quiet as I slip out the front door, shutting it ever so quietly behind me. 

As I walk to school, I pull my hoodie over my head to conceal my face. Monday is good, I guess. Five days of free actual full meals. My tummy rumbled and I pushed the thought of food out of my mind for now. Once I get to school, I can get breakfast. The lunch ladies are always nice and let me have whatever I want. A little peace away from home. Sure, the meals help. But, mind you, I'm at home way more than at school. 

I smile as I walk into the kitchens. Margie was there. She is my favorite, like my other mother. She has kids of her own, Kaden and Kallie, twins. I've met them before and they act like I'm their big sister.