Prologue

January 12, 2008

The sky is falling.. at least that is what it feels like everyday. I could not look at my sister anymore, she was the only person I could talk to.

My mother stood there as she observed my sister's body. Did she really think she could get away with this? My sister's hair quietly lied onto her peach rounded skin. I was only eleven, she was thirteen.

I think to myself, "How will I survive without her?" My mother glanced at me and back to my sister. I could not help but weep in despair, my mother did not even care to show any emotion or remorse. My father comes and he goes, and during this time he was not here.

I wonder if he could have stopped my mother, but she does not love him anymore. "Astrid." My mother calls out to me. I was in fear, I could not look up to her.

My mother's eyes turned into darkness, the type of darkness that no one could stop from seeping from her eyes.

"Yes, mama?" I finally force myself and pick my head up, my eyes set onto the darkness. "Get up." She says. I can hear her teeth grind against one another. I know that sound. I shake my head. "Mama, no. Please, Mama." My mother was going to hurt me.

She finally gripped onto my arm, I can feel her hands squeeze onto me, her fingers digging into my skin. I did not want to go through what my sister had to go through, I did not want to her to make me feel the way my sister felt.

I could feel my mother's breath of fury, the chilliness of her hands, the strong aroma of her latest cigarette, lastly, the horrid stench of sweat.

I keep shaking my head but the pressure she has on my arm, I can't fight her off.

She pulls me, I am still shaking my head, pushing her off of me. With the intensity of her grip, she finally shoves me into the room again. I didn't want to be in there again.

The chains.. I hate the chains. I feel her hand aim toward the side of my head, whacking me angrily. Satisfied, she gets her hands onto a chain, placing it onto my ankle. She clanks the lock shut, I hated that sound also.

She used to just only place one chain, but since I am a bit older, she has decided for two now.

I let my hand caress where she hurt me, still weeping. I hear her voice. "I'm going to take of your sister." The sound of her voice is unforgettable.

I never could figure out why she is full of such rage and hatred towards my sister and I. My sister.. my sweet, kind and selfless sister.

The slam of the door catches my attention. I can never make out to what has happened to my sister.

My body is trembling with terror, anxiety, and agony. I dread at the thought of my father yet I wish he were here to help me. I am now alone, I am always alone.

I shut my eyes, I allow my tears to drop from my cheeks. I picture my sister. Her name was Lily, short for Lillian. She didn't like her real name, everyone called her Lily.

I reminisce on the favorite part of my life. I was nine and it was my birthday. My last real birthday..