Ch. 1

“Tshhhhhhh” (water rushing from sink) “click” (water turned off) “t…t…t…t…t…” (Someone slowly walking) “eeeeeie” (door opens) “errrrrrr…bam” (door closed)

Every small sound is so annoying. I can’t stand the sound of everything, even people. Not only the sounds people make, but also their thoughts. People are sick and evil. They’ll do anything to get what they want. To have my ability is torture.  I’m in high school, eleventh grade. The government has been chasing me, and this is where I hide. Just like everyone else, I strive to live, and I live alone. Everyone does. Ever since 2000, people have been changing, getting abilities such as mine, though everyone is unique. We are pushed around by the government and forced to live as though we are normal. I’d love to run away, but there is nowhere to go, and the government’s threat on me is extensive and life-threatening.

I head to my class and sit down. The others are all sitting still, already working, even though the bell hasn’t rung. This is probably my most favourite of all my classes. It’s the most quiet, not because the teacher forces it on us. But because all the other kids are actually mature and just so happen to be inverts. Also, there are only five kids in this class. Hardly anyone ever signs up to this class. According to most the kids in the school, the teacher is “too creepy”. But either way they’re only two kids that regularly attend this class. Me and some other kid… I think his name is Jordan. He’s quite a strange kid, but I like that. I can hardly ever hear his thoughts, not sure why. I guess he just normally doesn’t think. But it’s not like I can never hear his thoughts. For example… last year I was walking down the halls and heard a new voice. I followed the sound and I eventually found him sitting all alone. It was after school hours but the school was open for an extra hour. He was yelling about something using swears to describe them. He was talking about… people… in general, but specifically he was mentioning the principal, the school, the cops, the government, and the world. It’s odd though… because he seems to have my same problems. I’ve suspected that maybe he has abilities like mine… but I’ve even been watching him for years and found nothing, other than him having a problem with the government… but I suspect that it was just his mom that had special abilities. That is all that my conclusion has come to. Apparently the government took her away when he was young. I feel really bad for him. But even though I found out that he’s just a dead end. I still search for others like me. My main goal in life is to collect all those strange people and fight against the government. But the search is difficult.

“Beeeeeeee! Beeeee!” (Bell rings) wow… class is already over. I quickly jot down my homework assignment from the board and continue to my locker. I put my books away and head outside. I never go to my next class. I’m assigned to go to Phys. Ed. But that class is much too radical! I run up the hill that is just behind the school well… not really a hill, more like a mountain. Once I reached the top, I sit down and relax. Peace… quiet… rest… and I fall asleep.

“Crunch!” (Movement behind a tree) I immediately awaken… The sound was too loud to have been an animal, unless if it was a bear. I slowly stand up and turn my eyes to see what it was. There is nothing. I listen carefully, but the only thing that has changed is the wind. I look at my watch to see the time…fifteen minutes till my next class, and I notice I’m shaking… I’m scared. My heart is racing and I can’t calm myself. That sound was just too strange, too unusual, something isn’t right.

I sit down in my seat. The principal walks in and says that one of the kids quit their classes and is now joining this one. “Great!” I speak to myself, sarcastically. Then Jordan walks in… the class goes silent. No one likes Jordan, apparently the school almost burnt down and everyone blames him for no specific reason. My heart smiles, so thankful to have a quiet class, although everyone’s thoughts are racing. I grab my headphones and plug them in. Everyone is perfect. All I can hear is the sound of drums, piano, and a violin. As I’m reading my book, I notice that the hairs on my arms have started to prickle up. It’s not because I have another ability, it’s just that someone is staring at me. It’s quite normal. I slowly raise my eyes to not startle whoever is staring. Got him! I freeze for just a moment. Its Jordan… and he hasn’t even turned his head away. I try to stare him down, but it doesn’t work. What on earth is wrong with him? I take the chance and race into his mind. This is best when the human mind is most open. But I hear nothing. Just the sound of water…… No way… Does he know that I’m telekinetic? Is he purposefully blocking me? And if so how?