preface

"Where is she," I say sternly, jaw clenched with nostrils flaring, looking straight into Kinsey's eyes. Kinsey stays completely silent, scared for my reaction. 

"It was a command, not a question." I snap with gritted teeth.

Kisney gives me the same look as before, but at this moment I don't care about anything but Mia. I have a feeling I know where she is, and I have no time to waste if I want to stop her. At the same time, my mind can't process the notion that my thoughts are true.

"She's sending the files." Kisney gulps, comfirming my fears. Her eyes pace around my features, detecting every aspect of anger that has risen to the surface.

"No." My fists ball up tightly, my nails digging in to my skin.

"Harry, it'll be okay." Kinsey says hurriedly, trying to calm me down.

As soon as she had spoken, I turn and run back in to the building. I ignore the pleas from Kinsey behind me, who doesn't dare follow me. I run into the slowly crumbling building, avoiding any dead bodies that lay limp on the floor.

The gun slung over my shoulder hits my back repeatedly as I run, the ammo clip digging into my flesh painfully. My breathing quickens, as sweat begins to form on my forehead from the heat of the flames around me.

My mind begins to fuzz from the gruesome smell of ash, blood, and smoke. I cover my mouth and nose with my hand after I began to have a coughing fit. My eyes burn from the fumes of the fire, and my nostrils fill with the thick smoke.

I have only one thing on my mind; I have to stop Mia.

Burning pieces of the ceiling begin to fall, crashing to the floor, spreading the fire even more than it has already spread. My skin blisters from the immense heat, and I know I'm most likely going to die in here, but I can't yet-- not without Mia.

I begin running through the hallways, seeing more parts of the building crumbling behind me, then praying I have time to get to her before the building collapses. I can't let her do this, not after everything we've done. After everything we've accomplished, after the hell we've been through.

The door finally comes in to my line of vision and I sprint to it, ignoring that my legs feel like they are about to fall off. Nothing matters to me at this moment, but getting to Mia.

I grab the door handle before realizing the inferno has already spread here. The hot metal shoots a glaring pain throughout my hand. I stifle a yelp, cradling my singed hand. While still holding my unburned hand over my mouth, I push through the pain and haul the door open.

I stumble in the room, slamming the door behind me with my foot. The room is on fire just like the rest of the building, and I see Mia at the C.S. typing furiously, coughing and rubbing smoke from her eyes. She doesn't seem to notice I've come in, and I can tell the smoke is effecting Mia badly.

"Mia!" I yell with a hoarse voice, coughing and running over to her.

I was nowhere near loud enough to capture her attention, the loud cracking of the fire and falling debris drowns out any other sound. I grab her swiftly around the waist, inadvertently sucking in a lungful of smoke yet again. She begins coughing and screaming, struggling to get out of my grasp. My arms tighten around her small frame, and she stops struggling.

"Mia, w-we have to get-" I cough, eyes watering and tears falling down my ashy cheeks.

"We have to get out of here." I manage, another coughing fit wrackles my body. Mia shakes in my arms abnormally. Her body is reacting to the smoke worse than I thought, yet she still continues to struggle. I loosen my arms from around her, and she fights to turn around and look at me.