Introduction - Case #0

((NOTE! Starting another paragraph with {   and concluding it with  } means the POINT OF VIEW has changed! The character won't be revealed, but it's easy to tell who it is from what they say. Later on it will get harder to determine who is talking, for the sake of the cases. ALSO, THIS REDRAW IS FROM SKY THE NIGHTGUARD. IF YOU DON'T CHECK HER OUT I WILL PUNCH YOU SHHDNSHN. You can also find my comics on my Instagram michael.the.nightguard. But Ah- Enjoy!))

"I'll tell you what!" The old man growled "The only mystery here-" he muttered, pointing his big thumb to himself "-is how the government will refuse to help me once again!". "Once... again?" A smile stretched across his partner's face "Mr.Helse... You affirmed you did have two accidents in the factory before, is that correct?" "UGH, yes I had!" Helse bawled "What does this have to do with the blackmailing?" He asked impatiently. "Well, allow me to ask you... What does an injured worker have to do with-"

{

...So, here it is. Here I am. The name's Kale by the way. This is Andrew. One of New York's most admired detectives and also, my best friend. He's quite admirable, indeed! I've known him since two years and have been his right hand ever since. I've learnt so much from him... He always says:"Friend or not, you should never let someone's position in your life affect your job. If they have to pay for a crime, let them. They'll have sweeter dreams in a cell, than with freedom at the price of guilt." I want to be like him someday!

}

"So now, Mr. Helse, if you have no problem with that... We'll be testing the disease you got after your accident. My colleague here is going to test if your brain will react to this high pitched sound. As you said previously, that should cause a negative body reaction... Due to the accident you had in the factory, you've been diagnosed with "Hyperacusis". Meaning that, frequencies we cannot usually hear or don't cause us issues would instead affect you. Right?" Andrew raised his eyebrow, smiling. "R-Right." The old man confirmed with hesitance.

{

"Kale, if you'd like to explain..." My partner said, bringing his eyes down to me and allowing me to proceed with my part. I feel honored, and do as we stated before, while discussing the case: I hold up a tiny device in the palm of my hand and, trying to match Andrew's confidence, I begin to talk. "This is a chip usually needed for dogs. I'll count to three, and then I'll press it. We won't hear a thing, but you probably will. Ready? One..." I start counting, then bring my attention to Andrew for a moment "Two..." My stare drains back to Mr.Helse "Three!" I press the button, and in that second, Helse didn't hesitate to bring his hands to his head, covering his ears and groaning painfully. I smile, and when I look up to Andrew I can see him doing the same. He chuckles and says quietly "Mr.Helse. Theatre time is over. There were no batteries in the device. This is our proof you've been faking your disease... Not only that, but also your wounded, right hand. You said the burn you got there was from another accident, and you also said the slightest amount of heat would cause you pain, making it impossible for you to work. Yet, when you were showing us the mail with the threaten from your computer... Your hand was right next to it. Exactly where usually all the heat from its cooling is expelled. You didn't say a word of pain, tho...". I smile and nod, following his clues. "Lastly..." He adds "You told us you haven't left the house since the first accident. However, right before you received the latest email, you were seen in an internet cafe, using one of their computers. Not many people use such places anymore... it was easy to track the list of people who used the computer the mail was sent from." We practically got him! There are no excuses to that. Andrew states his point: "In conclusion, Mr.Helse, it's crystal clear there's no criminal here, but you. This whole mess, only so that you could get easy money from the factory once you would have won in a court. You could get money from them because of your wounds and diseases, and easily stay home for safety due to the threatening. Impressive for a man your age... but you're under arrest." Andrew smiled satisfied, staring at the man and having his hands by his hips. I look up to him yet again, to see if he'd ask me to contact the department and ask them to come take him away, or to get the car keys- but he doesn't. Yet I catch a glimpse of him quickly reaching for the handle of the wardrobe next to us and I can feel a strong tighten on my shoulder, along a sudden tug and the voice of Helse screaming "I don't think SO.", then the sound of the safety lock of a gun being removed. I realize what's going on and flinch at the roar of a gun shooting, instinctively shutting my eyes; but nothing happens. When I oped them again, Andrew is standing in front of him, and the door of the wardrobe was slammed open as a protection. When he lets go of my shoulder, I am safely hidden in the corner of that space, but I can see him grabbing his gun and cocking it. He looks down at me, smiles assuredly, and suddenly peeks from the wooden door. I hear another shot and the grunt of Helse, along metal falling onto the ground. When I see him relaxing his muscles and quietly making his way to the man, I know the way is free and I can come along.

}

The bullet was still solidly stuck in the thick wood of the wardrobe, while Helse's gun dropped to the ground as he held his hand painfully. The detective bowed to him, retrieved his gun and grabbed the handcuffs from the back of his belt, making sure he wasn't going anywhere. "Now that's going to burn for a while, Mr.Helse's... but look at the bright side. In a cell you won't need money." Andrew joked, and glanced towards Kale. "Mind warning Amerie? My shift technically ends now, and I'm kind of in a rush to get back to Mary... think you can handle it?". The younger detective nodded quickly "Certainly! You go on, I'll wait for her." "Thanks pal. See you tomorrow?" "Of course! Say hi to Mary from me!" Kale smiled brightly. Andrew chuckled to himself, smiling back but with a touch of joking "And you say hi to Amerie from me..." He winked, then handed the key of the handcuffs to Kale, finally leaving the building and heading to his car, leaving Kale blushing with his cheeks turning pink.