Chapter 1, Back to school

I wake up from the ringing of my third alarm. I was so drowsy from not sleeping enough, that I snoozed the last two of them. With half opened eyes, I check the time on my phone and it's 7 am.

"Great, I'm late on the first day of school"

As I stretch from my 5 hours of sleep, my left elbow bumps against my laptop. I must have fallen asleep while I was watching a movie.

"I don't have time for this" I murmur

I quickly close my laptop's lid, stand on my two feet and rushingly enter my bedroom's closet. Waiting for me there, is an outfit that I've prepared two weeks prior. In five minutes I've changed from my ugly, yet cute pijamas into an adequate enough outfit. I roll my eyes in exasperation, in the span of 10 minutes I've only changed into my outfit and haven't yet done my make-up neither eaten my breakfast, *sigh*, why do schools have to be this early?.

Twenty minutes in after entering the bathroom, I've brushed my teeth and done a simple make-up look that just includes mascara and a small layer of foundation. I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror as I expeditiously brush my short, wavy, light brunette colored hair. I can't go back to school after summer break looking like this. I roll my eyes in irritation once I notice my under eye circles. How did the foundation manage to not cover them ? .

"Mom can I please use your concealer?"

"I promise I'll buy you a new one" I remarkably shout.

"Okay honey! It's on my makeup bag" my mom responds with a blaring voice from downstairs.

How can one have this much energy this early?

"Okay! thanks mom" I reply.

Where is it? Where is it? Oh here it is!. Before applying my concealer I gaze at my reflexion in the mirror. All I notice is an insecure 16 year old teenager. I begun having insecurities just like every
other teenager once they've entered puberty. My insecurities begin from my too big for my face, almond, brown eyes, to my weight -even though people say that I'm skinny-, to even my paled skin tone. The only thing that I praise God for not making me too insecure about is my lips. After applying a small layer of concealer, I put it back into my mom's make-up bag. Before heading downstairs, I also sprayed a vanilla scented cologne and applied a layer of deodorant. I may be late but I can't smell like rotten eggs on the first day of school!

Once I arrive down stairs, I'm caught by surprise from my neighbor's mom, who's currently talking with my mom. Her and my mom have been friends for God knows how long! and the craziest part is that Alexandra and my mom actually got pregnant at the same time. Alexandra gave birth to my now best friend-neighbor-, Adam and my mom gave birth to me.

"Oh! Here she is!" my mom proudly says.

What is going on?

"Rise and shine Anna!"Alexandra says with a big smile.

"Good morning Ms Alexandra, Good morning mom" I reply.

"I dropped by before heading to work to tell you that Adam will not be making it to school on the first period, because he woke up really late due to his alarms not ringing, sorry. But I can always drop you off to school if you want me to!"Alexandra announces.

Are you kidding me? How can his alarms not work on the first day of school? I bet it's one of his tricks to miss it...

"Oh no Ms. Alexandra you don't have to, I can always walk to school"

"Are you sure honey? Because you're pretty late too" my mother asks me.

"Yes, I'm certain" I assure her.

"Okay then and please stop calling me miss, I'm not even in my fifties yet" Alexandra proudly says, which results to all of us laughing.

Actually, both my mom and Alexandra look so young and beautiful for their age. Every woman would kill to look like that in their forties. Both of them have youthful characteristics and yet act so humble about it.

"I'm really sorry, but I'm late and I really have to get ready for school" I apologize.

"Sweetheart, no need to apologize, go get yourself ready and have fun at school!"Alexandra says

"Thank you!and you too.."I reply

"At work!" I add.

After Ms Alexandra checks her silver watch-for which she has enough money to afford-she says;

"Would you look at the time! I have to go too!"

As I rush into the kitchen their voices begin to muffle. I quickly grab an apple from the fridge and place it in my beige school bag that I grabbed while I was leading myself to the kitchen. I really don't have time for breakfast right now. Just before leaving, I check myself in the mirror. The outfit that I'm wearing to school is the only that I like about me today. The plain beige top matches really well with my school bag and my light washed blue jeans!The only thing missing now is shoes. As I'm tying my black converse, my anxiety and insecurities begin to kick in. Hence, my hands begin to shake and I struggle to tie them properly. If Adam was here nothing like this would happen! He's practically my step brother at this point, we're like family because we're together all the time. It's making me really sad that Adam ditched me this morning, I could really use his advice right now, plus I have to walk to school instead of him driving us there. I can't wait to see him at school today, I really hope he comes.

Before leaving I hug my mom really tight. She's a strong, persuasive, compassionate, brave and caring woman and giving her a hug is the only way that I could show her how much I love her.

"Goodbye Anna, have fun at school!" she shouts with a prominent smile proudly.

"Goodbye mother!"

This was the first chapter, I hope you liked it!