|prologue|

in the summer, no cat dared to leave the comfort of their houses. the pavement was usually steaming hot, pawpads would burn and those who went outside in the daylight were consideres stupid and insane.

no matter the weather or time, there was always skirmishes running about. if you associated yourself with the dangers outside human life, you would always be tangled with danger.

outside the city and human life, on the outskirts, deep in an alley, two cats stared each other down. one group, near the entrance, was a mismatch group of pudgy and soft cats. they were soft and round like human cats, kittypets, that's what they were. with their dull claws, soft pelt, scared hisses and empty warnings, they were no match for the second group.

one might've guessed that the group at the back were the defeated. but they guessed wrong. unlike the first group, this group was confident and strong. they were stiff and still, growls in their throats. power and hatred rushed through their limbs, eyes flashing dangerously. they looked powerful and stronger than the first group, with their dog-tooth studded claws and reinforced claws.

unnoticed by the human eye, there was a signal, and at once, the two groups rushed forward and tangled themselves in a storm of blood and fur.

cats from the first group turned away at the sight of the second group. those from the second took up the chase and ran after them.

amid the storm of fighting cats rose a skinny but powerful-looking cat. the cream-and-white tom grappled with a smaller tuxedo cat. the cream tom swiped his claws through the delicate ears. the tuxedo cat hissed and squirmed, batting at his belly.

growling, the cream tom leaned down and clamped his jaws down onto their shoulder. the cat shrieked. it wiggled and squirmed, thrashing wildy. the cream cat batted down at their belly, clawing and tearing at the soft belly.

the cat raised a claw and swiped right across his face, scoring on his nose. the cream cat hissed and shooked his head, dropping droplets of blood. the tuxedo cat got up and ran away, the cream tom right on their heels.

the tuxedo cat leaped up on a fence and dropped on the other side, forcing their legs to go faster and disappeared the corner. the cream tom watched from above the fence, blue eyes sharp and dark.

he turned around and faced the remaining fighters. the second group had easily dominated the first group, if their corpses said anything. at least three cats were fighting the a kittypet, who tried to hold their ground. pride swelled up inside of him but he forced it away, looking for a particular cat.

there.

the cream leaped down and began to walk towards the cat. he swerved around fighting cats until he made it towards the cat.

"alex!" he called out.

alex, a black-brown tom, hovered over a brown tom. his lips were pulled back in a cruel snarl. at the call of his name, he raised his head and turned around.

"what, aksel?" the tom snapped, eyes softening at the sight of the other tom.

"he's not worth it. everyone else is dead, or, uhh, about to be dead." aksel mewed, glancing at the brown tom.

alex hesitated, eyes clouding over. he stepped off of the brown tom, who scrambled onto his paws and wobbled away. he didn't make it very far until he turned around.

"you're just like the other cowards!" he spat out.

aksel winced as alex growled and shot forward. the ginger tom's eyes grew wide and tried to wobbled away. alex slammed into him and they became a flash of black and brown. aksel looked away.

a few heartbeats later and the tom laid dead. alex walked past aksel, his tail lovingly slipping under his jaw. the two leaped upon the fence and faced the cats, waiting for their realization.

it was sooner than they expected. a kittypet raised her head and looked around, looking exhausted. until she found him.

"jimmy is dead!" she yowled. the kittypets cried out before wiggling from their fighters and escaping, running away.

this time, few cats took up the chase. the other cats licked their wounds and the blood off their pelts. after a few minutes, they grouped together and stared up at alex and aksel, eyes gleaming as they awaited their leaders next order.