Part 1 - The Escape

"Now go, you have to hide. They're coming." Screamed Lucifer.

"But what will happen to you?" A trembling response gasped out of Fern.

"Don't worry, I'll still be here. That's if they don't find me."

"No, come with me!"

"I would, but I can't. I need to stay with grandmother."

"But you promised me we would play together."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry but you need to leave now."

"It's not fair! You promised me."

"But if I come then everything we have will be lost. The forests, the secrets. Everything."

"But I'll miss you. You're more important to me than any forest."

"Listen now, there's not much time. The gates will close and you will be stuck in this universe. And you don't belong here."

So, Fern ran and ran while glancing back towards Lucifer, who was standing in front of their house. Sweat trickled down along his face, causing more droplets to slowly grow larger and heavier, which caused more to roll down. Maybe it was the moonlight playing with her senses, but as she glanced back at Lucifer she was certain she could hear a faint cry. She whipped her head back quickly as she was about to trip over the roots that covered the forest floor, causing one of her neatly braided dutch braids to get caught in a branch. She jolts backwards, causing a sharp pain to her head, like a tug a war game that's within seconds to be over.  

"OWWW!"  Exclaimed Fern.

She falls to the ground, making the branch snap, her head crashing onto the hard surface.