CHAPTER II

CHAPTER II

The three Volturi kings had been around for a very long time. They had seen the highs (and the lows) of humanity and magic. They had held lovers (many) and had produced riches beyond any mortal's wildest dreams.

They were at the top of the world.

Yet, it was all meaningless at the end of the day; empty materialism.

And now, here they stood, bored to tears.

Aro brought his lips into a tight smile, and grasped her hand so tight that it would have broken if she were a human; "I'm going to ask you, one more time, Katerina. Did you kill Nerine?"

The woman on the floor (Katerina Petrova) was a vampire no more than 500 years old. She was blonde, blue-eyed, and stupid for believing that she could get away with murdering a Volturi guard.

Since she had no coven, Aro, Caius, and Marcus had to go straight to the source of the problem.

Katerina was a shield- she could block both Aro and Jane's seemingly useless attempts at torture- but that didn't stop Caius.

The small girl (physically, she was about 18) was kneeling on the floor, both arms missing. Aro was towering over her, keeping his regular cool composition, but secretly seething on the inside (for other reasons, of course).

After half an hour of relentless torture from every coven member in the room- Katerina's head was ripped off by Caius and burned.

Ringraziare il signore. The woman didn't know when to shut up.

All three kings then sat down on top of their golden thrones.

Aro turned to Jane: "Go see Rebekah, and tell her we have killed the vampire responsible for the death of her wife."

Jane nodded and briskly walked out.

"Now that is all over, back to the discussion at hand. Marcus?"

The brunette vampire sitting on the throne on the right-hand side turned to his brothers.

"She is human... I presume. The bond is stronger with Aro, but..." he trailed off.

"But?" Caius prompted, impatient.

"It is not the right colour... She may have perhaps found out us, or more specifically: you, and have formed a small... Dislike."

"She dislikes me?" asked Aro, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, we have eternity to prove our worthiness... And the esseri above have chosen her for us- she is ours to win-"

"Why do you speak of her like an object, brother?" Aro questioned.

Caius sighed; "I think Marcus is trying to explain that she will love you, brother. And we will love her."

Aro went to say something, but Marcus interrupted.

"I wouldn't fret if I were you, brother. Self-insecurity isn't your forte."

━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━

Jasmine gracefully collapsed onto the white couch whilst her bag flung to the side, hitting Emmet in the leg.

"Ow."

She poked her head up and raised one perfectly threaded eyebrow; "you're literally a va-"

She was cut off as the brunette hunk threw it back at her, the strength which he used almost knocking the air out of her.

"Rude!"

The bag was thrown again.

"And? What are you gonna do about it?" A boyish smirk graced his lips.

And again.

"Stop being so dramatic."

And again.

"Says the one who got full marks on her last theatre exam."

And again.

"Only cause jaccases like you made the grade boundaries so low."

And again.

"Oh yeah?"

As he propelled his arm back, his ammunition was suddenly snatched from behind.

"Ladies, please." Esme Cullen had a small smile on her face, eyes surveying two of whom she considered her children.

"Sorry..." "She started it." Both voices mumbled.

As the vampire mother placed some bowls of chips on the small coffee table, Jasmine perked up.

"Thanks, May." She smiled as the other woman patted her knee affectionately.

Just as Emmet was preparing to snatch the remote from Jas, her boyfriend walked in.

"Hey!" He interrupted, coming around the side of the sofa to kiss her on the cheek; "what are we watching?"

"Criminal minds." She grinned up at Edward.

As the theme music began to play, she cuddled into his side, surrounded by her surrogate family, and feeling content.