Chapter one

Veronica is on her way home from work. She had an awful day. The rain and the crowded streets of Manhattan don't really lighten up her mood. The only thing that makes her forget about everything is the thought of her adorable children waiting for her. They are probably already wearing those cute footie pajamas.

She sees a man with red hair walk pass her. She turns around and stares at him for a few seconds. He reminds her of Archie, her high school boyfriend. She remembers how in love they were and how much she cried when they broke up after senior year.

She didn't want to do it neither did he but they both agreed it would be the best. Long distance is really hard and they wanted to focus on college.
They agreed that if they met someone new they would go for it. No hurt feelings.
And Veronica did. A tall, black haired guy with blue eyes. He was pretty much the opposite of Archie but she didn't choose to fall in love with him.
They got together fast and right after college, they married. Just a few months later Veronica got pregnant and than three years after that again.
Her life seemed perfect for a few months but then he changed. He got aggressive and extremely jealous about everything and everyone that looked at Veronica. He accused her of cheating and started hurting her. Her body is full of cuts and bruises. He threatened he would do way worse if she told anyone. She promised to keep it to herself as long as he wouldn't touch the kids.

Sometimes she wonders what her life would look like if Archie and she didn't break up. If they stayed together despite the long distance. If she married him.
She knows she would still be in Riverdale. She smiles at the thought of a sweet, little house in that small town.
Archie and her barely saw each other anymore. They meet together with Betty and Jughead when she's in town but never alone. It's not like they're avoiding each other but none of them is putting effort in a meeting either.
Betty and Veronica are still pretty close though. Their kids are best friends and they try to meet in the middle of New York and Riverdale as often as possible.

•••

When she opens the door to her apartment her heart stops. She sees something she prayed she would never have to witness.
Her daughter is screaming, tears running down her cheeks. Her husband is towering over the little girl. In is left hand he roughly holds her wrist and in his right a belt.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" Veronica yells as she runs over to her daughter. She rips her out of his grip and holds her tight.

"Mommy" the little girl whimpers. She buries her head into the crook of her mother's neck, her hands are holding on to the fabric of her shirt tightly.

"SHE BROKE THE FUCKING GLASS. I TOLD HER NOT TO TOUCH IT AND SHE DID ANYWAY" he screams. He steps closer to Veronica but she takes a step back.

"You wanted to hit our daughter because of a stupid glass?"

"She has to learn to listen to me somehow"

Veronica can feel tears running down her cheeks and anger build up in her chest. "You said you wouldn't touch them".

"No honey, that's what you said" he says grinning.

"Don't call me honey"

"Listen. I'm gonna take a shower. When I'm out I want this mess cleaned up and both of the brats in bed"

He turns around without saying another word and locks the bathroom door behind him.

Veronica turns her gaze to her daughter. She's shaking and holding on to her mother.

"Are you okay sweetheart?"

The girl nods but doesn't look up.
Veronica kisses her head and walks over to the crib which is next to the couch.

Her little son, only a year old, is lying in it peacefully. Thank god he didn't noticed what happened.
She runs her fingers over his cheek and decides she has to leave, now. She needs to protect her children and herself. There is no time for packing or anything like that.

She puts her daughter down and lifts the little boy out of the crib. She grabs her purse with her phone and wallet inside and then reaches her hand out for her daughter.

"Come on sweetie, we're going on a trip"