Chapter 1

It’s not even that serious. But it’s so important that it can’t not be serious. But I shouldn’t be obsessing over this because I am lucky enough to be born into a wealthy family that happens to be the royal family. Some people can’t even afford to live in this time, let alone have a servant to light your candles. But how could she forget, how could she leave me here in the dark to die. I already feel to monsters crawling up on my skin as I start to get goose bumps. I’ve told her many times before that the monsters were out to get me because of my family’s money. But just in time, right as the monster is about to eat me. My servant walks in to apologize and lights my candles. Once she lights my candles the monsters disappear as if the light demanded them to leave my room. As they were leaving i saw one of their shadows, it looked like a human shadow. But i paid no mind to that. I wanted to yell at my servant so bad but I knew it probably wasn’t her fault. She probably had to do the laundry or something. But I could have died tonight. My life would have been taken away. But I should stop worrying because im fifteen now and im going to get married to some mystery man a month after my birthday. And if im going to have a husband, I cant be scared of the dark. But I still have a couple more months ahead of me to get rid of this fear of mine. But tomorrow is new years day and mother says we’re gonna have a party to celebrate the new year but im not ready to let go of this year because I feel like 1856 is gonna be different. It doesn’t even sound right. I just dont feel like celebrating.