Jesus Take The Wheel

"I love you baby sister",responds my sister Anna."Love you too",I text back meaninglessly yet meaning it. I drive off and don't even pay attention. This week has been a living walking test of my will. Two days until Christmas and me and my six-month-old son Dakota are going home to Illinois to visit our family for two weeks over my holiday break. I'm starting to give up and my gas tank is getting a little low. A tad over half a tank left. I'll have to stop soon and fill up. I work at Hayes Distribution Center in Checotah Oklahoma, the hometown of amazing country singer and close friend Carrie Underwood. Even Dakota has met her and got to have her sing to him! And boy do they love each other! That boy absolutely smiles every single time he hears her name! And every time Carrie sees him her face just lights up. I moved out here after high school to go to college and I got a job my freshman year. I went to college on a history scholarship at the Checotah Intermediate College. That's where I met Carrie. She was taking courses in Math, a subject I was always awful at all throughout school. And so she tutored me for free. And I tutored her in history for free. So that's the story of how I met Carrie Underwood. When I realize how fast I'm going I slam my breaks and try to stop."No",I have to restrain from shrieking. I hit a patch of black glass that's really ice. "Oh lordy I'm done",I think as my car does donuts to the shoulder of the snow covered road. I see both me and Dakota's lives flash in front of me. Me giving birth,my high school graduation,his eight grade graduation,his high school graduation,his wedding,his first child being born,my sisters getting married,and lastly his first time opening his eyes at the hospital. His bright ice blue eyes. His soft blonde hair. My baby boy. My whole world. I don't even have time to cry before I realize the car has stopped."Oh my God",I whisper looking at Dakota. He's still fast asleep."Dear God above please forgive me for doing what I do and saying the things I say on a daily basis and in my past,present,and future",I whisper gratefully."And thank you for sparing me and my son's lives and please grant us both safe passage back to home",I whisper looking back at the baby in the backseat. I fumble for my phone and the first person I call is my sister Emma."E-e-Emma",I stutter wildly."Sarah calm down. Now what happened",she says calmly."I hit an ice patch and the car did donuts to the shoulder",I try to keep from sobbing."Oh my gosh Sarah is everyone ok", she demands."I'm fine,he's fine. I don't know how much more gas I have",I sob."Check your gauge. How many miles from home are you",she asks."I'm fifty miles from T-Town. I've got about a half a tank left",I say quietly. "I'll meet you halfway with some gas Sis. I'll bring Anna and Taylor (my other sisters. They were triplets) with me",she says getting ready to hang up."Emma don't bring then",I say before she can hit end."Ok. Call me when you get twenty-five miles from where you are now",she says hanging."I love you Emma." "I love you too Sarah." Then she hangs up. Then call my sister Anna. Emma hasn't called her yet. "Anna",I say quietly not wanting to disturb the baby."Sarah is everything ok",she asks worriedly."Yeah we're fine. I just hit a patch of ice and the car did donuts to the shoulder. The baby's still sleeping. I'm just a bit shaken",I say quietly."Is the car ok?! Is anybody hurt. Is Dakota ok?! Is he crying or scared",she blurts."He's asleep Anna. Everything's fine. Emma's bringing me gas when I get closer to home. I'm fifty miles from T-Town",I say quietly looking back to find Dakota still sleeping.