Upended

He tiptoes on the old wooden floor, careful not to touch the makeshift bed in the living room. With only the moonlight streaming in the windows to guide him, Ri Jeong-hyeok reaches the kitchen, lifts a glass from the dish rack and pours water from the nearby pitcher.

He stares out and sees the silhouette of houses. It has been a number of years since he has lived in this village, a world away from Pyongyang. Life is simpler here – wake up, work, sleep. Occasionally, he invites fellow soldiers for some curly noodles and soju. His lone torment is the constant, good-natured attention of the female elders.

He has made this house as comfortable as he could. The previous commander's wife had left her curtains and some knick-knacks. Otherwise, he keeps the place clean and spare. He only needs a place to eat, a place for his books and a place to sleep.

His life is set - military service and marriage. Things would have been different had his brother lived, but he wasn't prone to wishful thinking.

He walks back and sees a socked foot peeking from underneath the mound of covers. He sighs and shakes is head. In just a few days, this stranger has claimed his house as her own - dirty dishes, strewn lotions, rearranged bookshelves, underthings drying in his bathroom. She raids his closet every day, choosing which of his shirts she could sleep in.

He jerks in surprise as she moves with a small huff, pushing away the blanket hiding her body, the shirt hiked up to her belly button.

He stumbles and heads to his room, spilling water along the way. He shuts his door.

Ri Jeung-hyeok exhales.

He lifts the glass to his lips. He thirsts.