Prologue

"Come on Harper!" I heard Luke's raspy voice yell, the sound of wind cutting through in an almost pleasant way, "It's not that far down!"

But it is far down, it's one of the highest points at Lake Powell. But it's not as high as it could be.

I peered over the edge of the jagged rocks, my fear of heights not blinding me from the painfully sharp lumps of sediment that would slice me open if I got too close. My gaze was immediately drawn to the tanned chest of Luke against the partially blue lake, his shirt and shorts discarded and left in a heap only to the left of my feet . My red t-shirt and tan shorts lay intermingled with his, as if they slowly intertwined.

"It's farther down than I wish to fall for you Lucas," I laughed, my feet sweating against the sun burned rocks beneath me, my toes curled around the crumbling rocks, trying to keep my balance on the uneven terrain, "always asking me to do so much for you."

His smile lit up one thousand watts, it was breathtaking, it was beautiful, he was beautiful. His eyes were an unusual twin to the grey-blue water around him, if only I wasn't focused on his face I would have gotten lost in the pools of blue begging me go join him. Begging me to take the plunge.

"All I'm asking for is a leap of faith, darlin'. If I was looking for something more we would be jumping of pews right now." My face breaks into a smile far before his, his arms swinging back and forth in the water, keeping him afloat.

A laugh errupted from my throat before I even had the chance to squelch it. My hand rested on my stomach, trying to contain the butterflies threatening to break free. The air being sucked in in short breaths.

Jumping would be simple, the easy way down. Jumping would be terrifyingly beautiful. I could fall, quite literally, for him. But I don't know if I should.

The ground seemed so far away, the lake seemed deeper than I remembered and my heart was beating twice as fast. My knees were shaking and my vision was blurry.

This was not the story I planned.

I swore I would never do this 'never get this close again,' it wasn't supposed to be this easy. It was supposed to be hair pulling, nails gripping into the dirt, and screaming at the top of my lungs. It wasn't supposed to be a smooth southern accent, beautiful lake blues and an eternal summer in his arms.

I made a promise to myself I wouldn't fall, that I would always stay on the cliff, even if I was alone.

But he is at the bottom, and he smells like dark roast on a Sunday morning, and he kisses like all girls want to be kissed and his arms feel like the only home I want to live in.

I swore I would never fall in love.

But I am in love with him.

And I jump.