Prologue

The car rolled across the warm summer pavement. The sounds it made as it moved might have bursted my eardrum itself. It was not scary to me somehow, I guess it happened too quickly…  You know it's kind of crazy, one second your life is amazing, you have friends, a loving family, just everything. Then your life just flashes right before your eyes, it could end that very second, or you could live on. One day I’m playing hopscotch with my little brother and the next, bam its over.

The struggle….knowing you couldn’t stop something but feeling eternally guilty. They don’t lie when they tell you everything happens for a reason.

My name is Hope Ashley Tovar. If you couldn’t already tell, I was in a car accident.  A fatal car accident. No one saw it coming, no one could have predicted it. Nelle, my best friend, my mom, my dad, Cole, my little brother and last of all….myself.

But as I said before, everything happens for a reason. I am a guardian. I help people, who just like me, died. Well almost…  I help them decide.

Help them decide if they want to stay here, on this awful place of lies but with everyone they love, or go to...The better place, the light, the golden gates….I think you understand what  I’m talking about.

I wasn’t given this choice, but it was all planned out to perfection. I was meant to die, it has been my fate since I took my first breath. But, like most people would be, I was in denial.

Scared.

Alone.

Depressed.

I suppose these were some of the adjectives you could use to describe my feelings....