58.

Amara

At this moment I wasn't too surprised at the sceneries I came across since I've known Lucien and his family. Damien really outdoes himself when it comes to holding events.

I took a deep breath and proceeded in through the large entrance doors to the building, my heart racing off with each step I took. I could hear the faint sound of chatter and laughter downstairs. It's just a masquerade ball. Nothing to be anxious about.

I look at Lucien for reassurance. He smiles softly and gropes my hand.

The stairs led to a large room lit by candles set along each wall. Small groups of people in dazzling costumes talked and drank while lively music played in the background.

My shoulders relaxed as I saw familiar faces. Everyone's head turned to us when we walked in and I felt a little uneasy at the stares.

"They're all looking at us," I stutter, averting my eyes to Lucien.

He shakes his head and holds his smile. "I believe they're all looking at you, princess."

My eyes jolted wide open when I saw my girl bestfriend. "Syl!!"

Her pink streaks flew in front of her face as she spun around in search of me.

I wave my hand upfront and her eyes beam at me. She sauntered over to us and kissed my cheeks, squishing them hard.

"Amara! My God! That dress, it should be illegal! Gasp! There's cleavage?!" she squeals, taking my hand and spinning me around to examine my full attire.

"Thanks Syl. But my oh my, your dress is the real deal. Givenchy?" She nods and flaunts her attire.

"You know fashion alright," she says with a wink.

"Syl, you know I barely recognised you for a moment," Lucien interrupts.

She flips her hair and grins cheekily. "Yeah? The new me. I've even stopped smoking. Went to rehab for a year and I'm glad to say that I'm clean. Feels so refreshing."

"That's amazing news! Are you happy that I'm back?"

Her eyebrows furrow at his question,. Then all of a sudden, she smirked like a Cheshire cat.

"Depends. What do you think about my new look?"

"Uh, well....you look....nice?" His reaction made her snort and I giggle at their little banter.

"Mara, how do you put up with this piece of work?"

"Let's just say I love him," I say, pecking Lucien's cheek.

"Which is all that matters," a deep voice interrupts Syl's rant.

It was Mr. King. "Mr. Marshall would like to have a chat with you darling," he tells her.

She smirks. "Can't keep hot stuffs waiting too long." As she disappeared, Mr. King turns his attention to Lucien and I.

"Lucien, my son!" he embraces Lucien warmly who, surprisingly hugged his father back. "I'm so glad you both made it."

"Father," Lucien retorts.

Mr. King grunts and shakes his head. "Father. Huh, sounds so formal."

His eyes finally sought mine but pulls away to view my attire. "Amara darling! How are you?"

I smile respectfully to make up for Lucien's attitude. "I'm doing well, Mr. King."

He takes my hand and places a soft kiss to the back of it. "Please, call me Damien. We're like family," he chuckles. "That dress is stunning and you look beautiful. You've even turned my son into a well groomed man."