Chapter 1

The silence was so loud and awkward. My back muscles are beginning to strain as I sat rim rod, not wanting my body to make any further contact with anything in this house, my arse and feet having no choice but to make contact- one on the hard, crisp white couch that was undoubtedly new and the other on the shiny wooden floor.

A throat cleared and I looked up from my glaring contest with my chipped nails.

"So, Veranica-"

"Veronica," I corrected. Dad nodded sheepishly. I resisted the urge to snort. It's sad really, that the one guardian who helped create you can hardly remember your name.

"Right, Veronica," he said, nodding to himself as if pleased with himself then fixed his green eyes on my face, the same green eyes that I had inherited execept I had one green eye- on my left- and my right eye was blue. The blue eye was no doubt from my mother.

Pain clenched my heart as a flash of my mom's face had me feeling nostalgic.

"How was your flight?"

Typical. The first opening that anyone does, be it in books, movie or real life.
I lifted a shoulder nonchalantly. Honestly, I'd trade my green eye to be anywhere as long it's far from my dad's new...family.

The word left a bitter feeling in my heart as I expressionlessly looked at dad's new children sitting on the couch on the other side of the large living room, possibly wanting to be as far away from the strange girl that was now their stepsister.

Two of them were busy on their phones. A boy with light brown falling carelessly in his eyes had his head bent as he furiosly tapped away on his phone, a light snicker escaping him every now and then as he tapped a foot of the floor from his position on the couche's armrest.

The other was a girl who seemed to be around my age, perphaps a year or two older than me, popped a pink gum as she scrolled on her phone which was dinging every second with a new message or notification.

Long creamy legs crossed in a ladylike fashion, her halter skater dark purple dress rested neatly against her mid thigh.
If anyone were to pass by they'd definitely identify her as a beach girl.

I shifted my eyes to look at the other sibling and held back a shocked gasp as my eyez met a cold cobalt blue eyes staring right back at me. No expression whatsoever on the girl's face could I identify as disgusted, bored, angry or- dare I say- happy.
The girl's red hair was a stark contrast to her sibling's light brown hair and her skin was another story.

If you have ever seen snow before then that would be the right colour to describe her skin.
Pale and possibly smooth with no acne, which is surprising because teenagers come down with them like a plague.

Except me.

"It was okay." I responded.

Another nod.

"No dehydration?"

"I will live."

Another awkard silence that lasted for a few seconds before the front door opened, dad's face, beach girl's face and jock boy's face lighting up like Christmas lights as a melodic voice called out.

"Yohoo, strawberries, I'm home!"

"We're home!" A much younger high pitched voice corrected.

"MUM!"
"Honey, over here!" Dad replied.
The click-clack of heels and the thud thud of flat shoes rang around the living room before a voice called out.

"My, what a lovely surprise! Did you all miss me so much that you anxiously waited for my arrival here?"