Missing Melody

Nathaniel Paul Fransisco was hanging around his usual spot in an abandoned room at the farthest part of the fifth floor of building A where most of the laboratories were located. He was scribbling notes on the arm chair. Vandalism was a major offense in his school but he did not care, no one else would have cared either, for that room was never used for quite a while now.

       He moved a little in his seat. His buttocks were burning from sitting for almost four hours straight. Nobody ever noticed him because the whole corridor was quiet, in fact it was abandoned. No more classes were held on that floor because there was already a new building for laboratories. He looked up and roamed his eyes around every corner of the room. That old room. That wonderful old room filled with memories that he could not easily bury. The memories that haunted him everyday. He never forgot. He always remembered.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

        He was half asleep on his seat waiting for the bell to come. He was exhausted from studying all night, plus the additional burden of insomnia. He wasn’t exactly sick; it was just his excuse to write songs without anybody else always noticing him. He wasn’t that brilliant in writing, rather he was better in playing instruments. He wasn’t a quitter though. He had been writing songs since third year high school when he was first rejected by a girl. Composing became his habit even until now that he was already in first year college.

    He had his guitar on his lap and it was almost slipping from his grip. Sheets of unfinished compositions were scattered on his armchair and on the floor. He was almost snoring when he heard the ring of the bell. He was startled. His guitar almost fell but luckily he got hold of it before it hit the floor. He crammed. He grabbed all his things and dumped it in his backpack. He headed towards the door and once outside he accidentally bumped into someone. Papers flew and scattered all over the corridor. Nathan muttered sorry but did not bother to look. He was in such a hurry; he was gone in a blink. He didn’t even notice Melody Margarette Asis kneeling on the floor with a grimace on her face.

    The week after their encounter, Nathan was once again inside that same room. He was strumming the strings of his guitar in a lively tune. He wasn’t paying even the slightest attention to whatever was happening around him. When he finished the song, he heard applause. He turned around and saw a girl by the door smiling beautifully towards him. He was awestruck. She was lovely.

 He stood up and smiled back. “I’m sorry, are you having a class here?”

“No, I just happen to pass by and heard you playing. You sound so good I was tempted. Am I disturbing you?” The girl said in a very sweet voice.

“No you weren’t at all.”

“By the way I’m Melody. And you are?”

“Nathan. Nice to meet you.” Nathan moved closer towards her and extended a hand to shake.

“Nice meeting you, again.” Melody smiled sweetly which melted Nathan’s heart and forgot to let go of her hand. “Ehem” Melody looked at their clasped hands and Nathan immediately let go in embarrassment.

        They both laughed. Melody was the girl Nathan bumped into the week ago. He was in such a hurry he didn’t even try to look at her. He apologized again and Melody just smiled. She was so sweet looking; Nathan could not avoid staring at her.

        They became good friends after that. They always met at the same room whether planned or accidental. They became inseparable. They ate lunch together, study together, and even go home together. They had silly stuff going on too. They cut class to watch the latest scifi movie or went home very late from a road trip around the city. They were like kids who did stuff together and laugh about it after.