Cup of Coffee

"How do you propose I can solve this mess?" I mocked, trying my hardest to perturb him.

"It's simple." He moved closer and took everything from my grasp. "Just like this." He went over the papers quietly as if it were a simple math problem for him and held them out to my face. "You make one statement at a time. You'll never finish it if you go over all of it at the same time. It's not as easy as ABC you know."

"I know that's why I wanted you to help out! But I guess that great advice of yours is all I get huh." I held my chin up showing him my most disappointed face.

"Calm your horses down will you? What else did you ask me to stay the night for? I'll help." He said as he stretched out a hand for a pen. He decided to start working on the schedules and held his handsome face towards me, "Are you gonna keep on staring at me working so hard here or help? I might change my mind and leave. I didn't come here to be your slave, yah know?" he grinned.

"Excuse me, but whoever asked you to stay the night? Anyhow, thanks for the help I really do need some. No, I need a lot." I took some of the papers and followed his lead.

We worked the whole night. We almost drowned ourselves with coffee to keep us awake. After our fourth cup, Louis stood up and offered for another cup. He went back to the living room with our refilled cup.

"Aaaargh. I'm so tired. This is too much. I swear I won't be merciful to any of them. There won't be exemptions. My group mates left me to rot in here with these papers to work all night while they get some good night sleep. This is injustice." I complained a quarter past three.

"We're almost done, see?" Louis raised the finished schedules and statements.

"I'm so sleepy Lu. I can't think anymore. My mind's gone blank!" I groaned.

"When we balance everything that's when we'll sleep. I don't want to stop now that we've gone this far. I don't want to lose the momentum. Just try to keep your eyes open will you. " He said with an irritating smirk on his face.

"Lu you're the meanest person I've ever met and I hate you for this torture you're doing." I said feeling undignified. I hastily took a clean sheet of paper in front of me and accidentally knocked my cup and spilled hot coffee on my lap. "OUCH!" I bellowed in agony.

Lu immediately helped me with my burn. He took an ice pack and placed it on my lap. "You clumsy little kid. You did it on purpose, didn't you?"

"Are you nuts? I'm not stupid enough to knock down a boiling cup of coffee on my lap. I told you I was sleepy. Ouch, that hurts." I winced.

"See? That's all it takes to wake you." He jested.

"You hate me that much to be so cruel to me even after I get these ugly burns." I countered and feigned a sob.

"Okay you take your well earned rest. Sleep and try not to burn yourself again will you?" he joked and laughed.

I didn't bother to respond. I was terribly sleepy and the burn on my lap made me so uncomfortable. I took some throw pillows and placed it under my head and lay on the couch. Lu persuaded me to go to bed but I was stubborn. I stayed there and watched him work.

It was always like that with Lu and me. He was my hero. He was always there when I needed him. He never failed to make me laugh every time I felt depressed and he always showed up whenever I was in danger. 

He was always so good to me. He treated me as his younger sister but for me he was more than a brother and much more than a friend. It never occurred to him how deeply I felt for him. Since the day he brought me home from the scariest place I've ever been, I knew I already loved him.

***

It was raining very hard and the only shelter I had was the overgrown Acacia tree that grew on the side of the small road. The darkness was reduced by the little rays of light coming from light posts at each corner. There were no passing cars. There were not even the slightest sign of movement from any stray animal.

I was cold to the bones and every part of my humanity was shaking. Rain splashed thunderously on the deserted street and a bolt of lightning and thunder shook the stillness of the street. I was damp and every part of my body was quivering in coldness. I slumped down on the roots of the tree and seek for comfort which I could not find. The memory of what happened just a while ago was very much fresh in my mind and the thought of it sent fresh set of shivers to my entire body.

Mark and I were happily walking at the mall doing some window shopping when he suggested we'd spend the rest of the afternoon at his place since his parent's were out of town. I agreed thinking it was a good idea.

We watched DVD's and pigged out on the junk foods that we bought at the mall. We had laughs and a lot of fun. It was almost like a dream come true for someone like me who had a long time crush on Mark since grade school. But all of a sudden the dream became a nightmare.

I was resting my head on Mark's shoulder while watching the fourth movie Mark picked. It was a romantic movie. Suddenly Mark placed his right arm around my shoulder and rubbed his palms on my forearm. He cupped my chin with his left hand and kissed me. It was passionate and sweet. All of a sudden his hands were slowly sliding towards my breast. I pushed him away and said I needed to go home. He refused and forced me to sit beside him. I struggled but he was stronger than me. He forced me to lie on the couch and pinned me down. When he moved to go on top of me, I hit him where he was weakest with my knee and ran as soon as I freed myself from his grip.

Unexpectedly I heard hurried footsteps growing louder every second. I sat bolt upright and listened intently. I retreated farther towards the back of the tree for cover. I was becoming more frightened each passing second. Could it be Mark's footsteps? Did he follow me all the way here? Did he know where I was hiding? Should I run? Or should I stay here? Panic overwhelmed me and without warning I began to sob. I did not know what else to do. I was filled with fear and the coldness of the rain made my whole body numb.

The footsteps stopped abruptly right in front of the tree I was hiding. I closed my eyes and silently prayed for help.

"Renee? Where are you?" I heard the desperate cry of a familiar voice. It calmed me down and slowly I walked out from my hiding place.

He was there on his knees, his head down. I let out a whimper and cried his name out loud.

***

"Renee! Wake up! Wake up!"

I woke with a start. Louis was holding me in his arms. I felt hot tears trickled down my flushed cheeks. "I—I had—a nightmare." I stammered looking at his strained face.

"Don't do that again. Okay? You scared me!" Louis said still holding me.

"I will never."

We were silent for a while and then Louis let go of me and went back to the papers that needed his attention. I sat up and faced him. His head was bent down. There were creases on his forehead due to intense concentration. He looked so gorgeous even under stress. 

"I love you so much. I wish you knew." I whispered very quietly.

Out of the blue he responded, "Me too."