o n e

I tap my foot on the floor of the F subway train. Today marks an entire month of being in New York city. The most populated city in America, the most busy and more importantly, the place where I can be invisible. I look around me and see all kinds of people, leading all different kinds of lives.

The train comes to a halt, the doors opening. People are rushing in and rushing out. I stand to my feet and make my way out. I bump into someone's shoulder, a man, who's taller than me.

"Sorry." We both say in unison but that's the end of it. The end to our conversation. I race up the stairs, still not comfortable with my surroundings. This city is so big, it's so easy to get lost in it, and that's how I like it.

After a few minutes of looking around for my street, I go up to a woman smoking a cigarette. She gives me a look as I come up to her.

"Do you happen to know which way Eighteenth Street is?" I ask her and she drops her cigarette, putting it out with her heel. She gives me directions and I thank her.

I end up in front of the pharmacy in no time and wait in line with the other ten people in front of me. I check my phone, no calls, no texts.

After a painstakingly long thirty minutes and a even more painful chat with the person at the register, my name is called for my prescription.

"Nora Waters!" People look at me as I stand, now knowing that my name is Nora Waters.

"Thank you." I say quietly, grabbing the bag and making my way towards the exit. I leave the pharmacy and spot a Chinese restaurant across the street. I bite my lip, contemplating if I want that for lunch or not. I cave in and cross the street in a hurry.

"Hi, can I get sweet and sour chicken with rice, please?" I ask the woman and she types it onto the screen.

"That'll be fifteen thirty." I hand over my card and she looks at it for a split second before swiping it. As I wait for her to print out a receipt for me to sign, I feel eyes burning into the side of my head. I clear my throat, looking to my right. A middle aged man is watching me as he eats. Although as soon as we make eye contact, he looks away. My hand grips onto my pepper spray that's in my purse.

"Sign here."

I leave a tip for the woman and sign my name at the bottom. She hands me my copy and I take a seat next to a man and his baby. The baby starts crying once she drops her toy. He puts his hand on my shoulder and apologizes.

"It's fine." I smile but slowly inch away while he picks up his child's toy.

"Here you are." Another employee nods at me, holding out a paper bag. I take it and rush out of the restaurant.

I check my phone and see it's almost noon. I find my way back to the subway and figure out the train I need to take to get back to my apartment. It only takes me five minutes to figure out.

After ten minutes on the train, it stops at my stop. I make sure to grab my purse and food before exiting. Luckily, I was comfortable with this train and could figure out where my own damn apartment was.

I arrive to my building's front door at exactly the same time as my neighbor and his girlfriend, Matt and Jen.

"Hey, how are you guys?" I ask as Matt holds the door for Jen and I.

"We're good, we just got back from Central Park. What have you been up to?" Jen asks me, smiling at me as we walk up the stairs.

"Chinese food and errands." I hold my bag of food up and she laughs, saying these pregnancy cravings have made her want Chinese food at least three times a week. The three of us make it to the third floor and bid our goodbyes. I turn around to unlock my door and see a box place in front of my door. It must be the books I ordered. I unlock my door and set my things down on my kitchen counter before going back for the package. I make sure to lock both locks of my door before settling in.

I set the box on the counter and grab a knife. I slice the tape off and open the box. I gasp, bringing my hand up to my mouth. I place the knife on the counter slowly. A note and a single rose lay in the box. I pick up the note, my hand shaking not so subtly. Tears well up in my eyes as I read it.

Miss me, Nora?