𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐞

The day of the Vardy's 'End of Summer' party had arrived, even though summer officially ended a few weeks prior.

Maggie was nervous for two reasons. Reason one being that she didn't know how Rebekah and Jamie would react to meeting her father since their opinions mattered the most to her. The second reason was that she knew Ben would be there since he was close to Jamie. It was stupid in Maggie's mind because she saw him practically everyday at work but she wondered if the alcohol that she was bound to consume would result in her giving him a piece of her mind.

Maggie dressed in cute, floral maxi dress which was perfect for summer and once she had completed her makeup, she left her flat. She agreed to meet her dad at the Vardy household since he had told her that he had some 'business' to take care of.  Maggie admitted that it sounded sketchy but she gave him the benefit of the doubt this time around since he had promised her that he had left all of his drug dealings behind.

If there was one thing that the Vardy's were good at and enjoyed, it was throwing the best parties. They were never over the top with everyone throwing their guts up due to consuming too much alcohol but they were never boring either.

After greeting Rebekah and her husband, the brunette girl wandered around the house. She felt a bit lost for the first time in her life. Rebekah was organising small party platters and she wasn't on talking terms with Ben. She didn't have anyone to talk to.

It had been about fifteen minutes of Maggie sitting in the same corner of the house, alone, when her father walked through the door. She went up to greet him and as she did, she could smell the alcohol radiating from his body.

"Did you drive here?" She hissed. She was angry, fuming even. He knew how important it was for the pair to get a fresh start and how she wanted him to make a good impression on her two friends. He had been in the house for not even two minutes and he had already committed a crime.

"You're unbelievable." Trevor didn't manage to get a word in before Maggie stormed away from him, leaving him to sway in the doorway.

"Mags, are you okay?" A large hand was wrapped around her tanned arm and as she looked up, she saw that it was Ben.

"As if you actually care. The only person you care about is yourself." The anger in Maggie was beginning to boil over as her voice raised, catching the attention of her dad.

"You!" His unsteady finger waved at ben's face and he stumbled his way over until he was standing in front of him and beside his daughter.

"I warned you to stay away from her!" His voice was loud which caused everyone at the party to stop. Although everything was going to plan, ben was still worried that something would go wrong.

"Since you can't keep your side of the bargain, I'm going to have to keep mine." After the words left Trevor's mouth, everything happened so quickly. It was like a blur for Ben.

Trevor wrapped his arm around Maggie's neck and pressed a cold, metal blade to it that he had removed from his jean pocket.

"Dad, stop!" Maggie's voice quivered as she tried to get herself out of the situation.

From behind the drunken man and his hostage, Ben was able to see that James was dialling the three digit number that would result in the police coming. He went into the back garden to explain what was happening without Trevor hearing.

"Trevor, this doesn't need to happen. If you hurt her then neither of us get her." The brunette boy tried to stay calm in order to talk the drunken man down but he had no idea what he was doing. He was simply copying what he had seen when he watched crime shows and so far, it wasn't working.

"I told you to break her heart and stay away! You just couldn't resist. I told you that if you didn't, she would get hurt." He was becoming more and more erratic by the minute and despite the tears that were falling from Maggie's eyes, Ben could see that she was pleading for him to help her.

"I know. I'm sorry but if you let her go then I promise I won't go anywhere near her." Ben couldn't believe that the plan had been executed perfectly and everything still seemed to go so terribly wrong.

The sound of sirens approaching the house panicked Trevor. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't go to jail again. That would most definitely be the end of his relationship with his daughter. He panicked and removed his arm from around his daughter's neck but before he could let her go, he plunged the knife into her abdomen.

Maggie staggered, the shock of what had just happened being too much for her to register the blood that was leaking from her stomach.

"Hey, it's okay. I've got you baby." Ben had rushed over and he took Maggie into his arms, gently helping her to lie down.

"You did this to protect me." Her voice was barely above a whisper, the blood loss and the stress of the situation becoming too much for her too quickly.

"Of course I did. I promised that I would always be there for you." He gave her a sad smile, stroking her hair as the police assessed the situation before calling in the paramedics.

"Ben?" Maggie's blue eyes weren't as vibrant as they once were but ben still gave her all of his attention, a few tears slipping from his eyes. She motioned for him to lean down so he did. once he was close enough, Maggie pressed her lips to his cheek.

"I trust you Ben. I trust you more than anyone else in this world." Those were the last words that Maggie Montez said to him before she was taken away by the paramedics and rushed to hospital.

a/n: a bit of an emotional roller-coaster, thanks for that trevor.

i was really unsure about whether or not to include this because it seems a bit unrealistic but at the same time, i didn't know how else to write this. trevor is back on alcohol and drugs, hence why he seems so unstable.

favourite character in this book?
maggie has to be mine. she's so sassy and badass! she makes a nice change from my other characters that i've written.

i'm publishing the prologue of my jack grealish fanfic tonight at 5pm gmt so if you want to check it out, you'll be able to find it on my profile!

enjoy and stay safe!

lots of love, e x