This, I Know

Chapter 1: I Saw This Girl

I stared at the dancing numbers and letters on my notes. I was staring on it for almost five minutes. I don't know what to do with it but stare. I'm hopeless. Math is really a subject that doesn't make any sense. My mom is wasting money on me.

I sighed. I was torn between guessing the answer or not answer it at all. I looked at the time on my watch; nine more minutes. I sighed again deciding to guess and invent a solution for this crazy algebra. I looked around to check if my classmates are looking.

I hate it when someone caught me guessing answers even if they they had no idea what I am doing.

I groaned internally in my assessment. Of course they are looking! I'm a star in this class just because I'm a member of the Talents Club. That club was sort of the sign of this school. It is famous on other schools too. In fact when outsiders are talking about my school; the Talents Club is the first thing that would surely come into their mind. It's a club of dancers actually. I never knew why they'd call it Talents Club - such a broad term for what it really is.

I smiled back to those who were smiling at me - a normal gesture for me, I caught a glance of Jude who was busy talking to the girls surrounding him. They smiled at me when Jude met my gaze -because they followed his gaze. Then my head -almost painfully - turned back to my assignment. Ugh! I only have eight minutes or so. I sighed again. I wiped the sweat in my forehead before it can mess up the paper.

"Having a problem again Miko?" a familiar voice asked. Jude's voice is always mixed with a hint of laughter. He sat at the vacant chair beside me and the window.

I groaned again. He has that habit of asking the obvious. "No. Leave me alone." I replied, resigned. I have no time for him. He's only making the stares worst. He's a member of the Talents Club also. Surely all my classmates are looking at us now. I tightened my hold on my pen which were slipping out of my fingers because of the sweat.

Jude laughed.... Out... Loud. He find me sweating a fun thing. There's no limit in his sense of humor.

I glared at him. He's doing the opposite of what is useful. "What's funny?" I asked through my teeth.

"You are funny! Forgot your assignment on your own will again?" He said, not bothering to lower the volume of his voice. The other gathered. They sat three chairs away from us on the left, they were curious to see what's funny.

I gave up. I started to put the notebook back into my bag. I was offended by his choice of words -because it's negative but true. I really don't care about my assignments when I have free time. I never forgot about it, I voluntarily forget it. I glanced up to him, wishing he could read the signs on my eyes. 'Leave!' I thought internally. I was upset enough that I really didn't care about my sanity.

It's just six minutes before nine in the morning and he's starting to ruin my day. I made a plan to not talk to him the whole day. I always do that when he started to get in my nerves.

"Here. Take it." he chuckled and I was distracted. He gave me a yellow paper filed with numbers and letters - algebra in short. Then I tried to remember when did I wrote that paper because that was my handwriting.

I took it not because I accept but to check and see it clearly.

"Kyla made your assignment for you." he explained, grinning.

"Kyla?" I asked, surprised to hear the name of his sister. So much for my plan for the day, I always failed anyway Jude is my only best friends; not talking to him means not talking to anybody. And speaking of anybody beside him, I noticed that our audience left one by one until its just the two of us again.