1

"Sapph, you should wake up now. You need to prepare", I heard my mom say as she continuously knocked on my door, calling me for breakfast. "Yeah, I'm up", I calmly replied.

Bago ako tuluyang tumayo mula sa pagkakahiga sa kama, I took a moment to stare at the toga I prepared last night, hanging on my clothing rack. This is it, gagraduate na ako—well, not from college but from senior highschool. I know it's not much, but to think that all of my efforts finally paid off makes me feel happy and proud. Besides, this is something 'big' for me because after this, I will have to face the 'real' thing—college and the life after that.

I stood up and walked towards the full length mirror right at the corner of my room. I looked at my reflection, "This is your last day as a student from the Humanities and Social Sciences, Sapphire. You might as well enjoy it", I said to myself. The thought is bittersweet because as much as I want to graduate eh sobrang mamimiss ko rin to, for sure. I enjoyed SHS very much. Others may think that it's such a waste of time but for me, it was worth it—it taught me a lot and also gave me memories that are worth treasuring.

Before leaving my room, I threw a glance at my toga for the last time.

I took a deep breath and smiled. Let's do this.

---

I stood outside the 'waiting room' assigned for our class. According to the ushers, we should all be here before the program starts. You know, for everything to be organized and for the program to run smoothly.

I am trying to gather all my courage to enter the room because right now, I am feeling all sorts of emotions—happy, melancholic, proud, excited—name it. I want to jump in excitement and cry at the same time. I don't know, maybe because of the fact that this event is both the end and the start of something for all of us.

"Totally nerve-wracking", I whispered to myself as I shook my head.

I finally opened the door, and smiling faces greeted me. I can literally feel everyone's excitement. Also, some are fixing themselves—inaayos ang toga, nagreretouch ng make-up and all, and some are busy taking pictures. Some are also getting emotional, like me.

"Congrats, Sapphire!"

I smiled and congratulated my classmates in return.

My eyes wandered around the room and spotted my friends. I immediately walked towards them.

"Congrats!" We greeted each other with a tight hug. "We made it, guys", I told them and they nodded excitedly in return.

"Biruin nyo yun? Nagbunga na yung mga araw na stressed tayo!" Lian exclaimed. She clapped her hands as she seemed very happy. I chuckled. This girl seriously doesn't run out of energy—cheerful as always.

"Ba't ka naman na-stress eh wala ka namang ambag?" Angel sarcastically asked Lian na agad namang nagsalubong ang kilay. Just like that, nagsimula nanaman silang magbangayan which is something they always do. I just shook my head and laughed.

"Truth! Worth it lahat kahit gisang gisa na tayo at mayaman sa eyebags!" Kira agreed as she rolled her eyes and smiled right after. "Right", I nodded. "We went through a lot, now we're here!" I added and gestured for another group hug.

We took pictures, videos, anything that will serve as a remembrance for this day.

All of us can't stop smiling, but for some reason, I felt a pang in my chest.

I kept quiet and took my time looking at my friends. I sighed in realization that this is probably one of the reasons why this event is quite melancholic for me...

One way or another, my friends and I will part ways.

---

The program started for a while now. We are now seated on our seats listening to the Academic Director's speech. After some time, they finally pronounced that we can now receive our diplomas.

The cliché graduation music started playing, and for a moment, I felt everybody's excitement again. I couldn't help but to smile, too.

The students from the 1st section started marching as they were called one by one, up until the 4th section. Our section is next in line and I couldn't wait for this to be over because this is actually getting boring.

I was already spacing out, but I was brought back to my senses when I heard his name.

"Pierce Van Gomez from the Humanities and Social Sciences"

Everyone clapped as he went up the stage to receive his diploma wearing that same old smile—the smile which made me stupid... stupidly into him.

I stared at him from afar, like I always did. He styled his dark curly hair as usual which always complemented his fair skin and his soft features. He's also tall so the toga looks good on him, unlike me who is quite short—medyo nagmumukha tuloy akong hanger.

I like him for 2 years now, but I don't think it's the same for him. He is very confusing, but somehow, it's the reason why I am so drawn to him.

There were times that he would make me feel special. But sometimes, he makes me feel like I'm not. Hot and cold it is. I always wonder why...

Maybe that's because I never told him about my feelings? Maybe I'm the coward here, or maybe we both are.

I shifted my gaze away from Pierce because my thoughts were making my chest feel heavy. I shouldn't be feeling this way. Last night, I vowed to myself that I will put an end to this madness, and I will.

No matter what happens, I always end up trying to figure him out and I am done playing that game. It's tiring to always be the only one who cares. I'm tired of trying and getting my hopes up for nothing, too.

"It's finally our turn!" Kira, who is sitting next to me, said while clapping. It's time for us to receive our diplomas and my classmates are already lining up. We stood up and I felt my heart pounding so hard. Darn, this event is really making me feel all sorts of emotions.

We all waited patiently, and eventually, it's my turn.

"Sapphire Aria Mercado from the Humanities and Social Sciences, With Honors"

People are clapping and lights from cameras' flash are everywhere.

I smiled as I started to walk up the stage. I shook the hand of the President of the university as he handed me my diploma. "Congatulations", he said smiling and I thanked him in return.

Since I am an honor student, my Mom's also there on the stage. Siya ang magsasabit sa'kin nung medal.

Mom smiled as she did what she had to do. "Congrats, baby", she said teary-eyed. I chuckled, "This is all for you, Ma. You know that, right?" I replied. She laughed and nodded, "Right".

I reached for her hand and held it tight as we went down the stage.

Receiving my diploma and wearing the medal which signifies my hard works made me feel genuinely happy and proud. I did it!

---

It's been 15 minutes since the program was over and most of the people already left the university to go celebrate somewhere.

I am currently walking along the hallway palabas ng university. Galing ako sa HUMSS building dahil napagisipan namin nina Lian na mag usap muna saglit sa dati naming classroom right after the program was finished.

Nothing much happened, we just congratulated each other for the second time around because we all graduated with honors and we're proud of it. Also, we talked about our post-graduation celebration and they're actually planning to go somewhere outside the city. Wherever it is, I'm in.

By the way, Mom's waiting for me in the car sa labas ng university, ofcourse. I told her to wait for me because I'll talk to my friends for a bit.

I started walking faster. Mom's quite impatient, you know, at medyo natagalan nga naman ako sa pakikipag usap sa friends ko.

"Hey, Sapphire!"

Hearing that voice made me froze.

Galing sa likod ko yung boses and its funny how I don't even need to turn around for me to know who it is.

My heart's beating so fast but I composed myself and faced him.

I forced a smile,

"...Pierce"