That Swing Set

PROLOGUE

Laila's eyes drifted towards the children on the swings.

She saw not the blonde girl with pigtails, nor the naughty looking redhead (both of who were currently occupying it), but the memory of a small frail looking brunette and a chubby pink-cheeked boy.

"Lala, c'mon!" the pink-cheeked boy exclaimed, staring daringly at the brunette.

The memory Laila broke into a smile (much too big for such a delicate looking girl) and laughed.

"James! I will not get on that rickety thing," she said, eyeing the swing warily, "Mum would- well -she would kill me, but that death-trap may do me in first."

"This thing has been here forever, it hasn't broken before and it definitely won't break now," Looking at her again, James smirked," 'specially since your so tiny and all- ow!"

"I swear to you, James Lewis, if you weren't my best friend, I wouldn't put up with you," Laila declared.

"Lala, no one knows you better than I do! When was the last time you wet your bed again?"

Laila reached to smack his arm once more, but he took off, leaving her little choice but to chase after him.

The children's laughter broke her out of her daze and she stared once more at the old swing set.

She glanced at the blonde girl and fiery-haired boy, as if seeing them for the first time, and walked away, leaving the memory behind.