Chapter 1

First and foremost, I want you to know how much I care about you. Your smile always had a way of cheering me up in the darkest of times, even now. Whenever you walk into a room everything seems just a little brighter, a little better.

~

Everyone has their ups and downs in life. If I had to describe mine, I would say it mostly consists of thinking I'm happy until I do something stupid and it all goes away. Maybe that's the reason why my 'parents' don't fully trust me with their company. All they had me do for the past 4 years was play their assistant.

From morning until night I do everything they ask of me. From rescheduling appointments to getting them coffee, I do it all. Just like I went to the college of their choice and behaved the way they wanted me to behave. My life was never my own, I've always been their puppet.

The day didn't start out different from any other. As usual, I inform them about their day during breakfast, which I don't even get to eat most of the time.

"Was there anything you needed for the morning briefing Marck?" I ask my dad while searching through my bag. I swear I put my keys in here last night.

"Yeah, I need you to get those papers on my desk." I hear a loud scrunch before he continues to speak. "Oh, nother thi-"

"Eat then speak!" My mom says interrupting him as she walks into the dining room. I look up just in time to see her smack him on the back of his head. He sticks his pointing finger up in the air while trying to chew as fast as he can.

"Be in my office fifteen minutes before the appointment at three." He takes a sip of his coffee and swallows before he continues. I return my attention back towards my bag, in search of those damn keys. "Very important, so don't be late."

"Hmh, got it," I say. Nodding my head as I finally spot a metal object on the bottom of my bag. "Papers and be early for the appointment at three," I say. Repeating it more for myself than anyone else. Without saying another word I head out the door, it has been this way for a while now. The only thing we really talk about is business-related, the times of fun had been over since the moment I set foot into high school.

A shiver runs down my spine the moment I step out of the house. Small clouds forms with every breath I let out. I make my way towards my car as fast as I can, turning on the heater the moment my key turns in the ignition. I sigh contemplating if I should head back for a jacket or not. I start the car not wanting to deal with the people inside.

I rest my head against my seat as I wait for the engine to warm up. Just because my dad has money doesn't mean I make use of it. I've worked hard, put in hours of my free time, which let up to me buying my faithful Honda Civic. It might not be as fancy as my dad's expensive BMW, but it gets me where I need to be.

I start to make my way towards the office as soon as the engine is warm enough to drive. The only sound you could hear was the traction between the road and my tires, and if you'd listen hard enough you could hear the wheels in my head spinning. My dad had never asked for my presence at an appointment, especially not at an important one.

Was he finally going to give me more responsibilities? Or maybe he found another successor. I've done everything they asked of me, and still, he seems to be afraid I'll screw everything up. They don't take me to fancy parties or important diners but they still expect me to follow their rules, their footsteps.