Getting There

• Dedicated to chryso

Cathrine had had a crush on Leo for a while but he didn't know she existed. He was three years older than her and a rebel without a cause as I often called him which obviously attracted many girls. I would see him with a different girl every night never been caught with the same one twice but he was no player. They knew exactly what they were getting themselves into.

So Cathrine had her fair share of warning. The only thing I could do was introduce them and then I was out. I wasn't going to interfere with whatever happened or did not happen. I was just a means to an end. Not getting involved, not putting a good word for anyone. I was just supposed to introduce them. This is Leo and this is Cathrine.  I made myself clear.

"I know, I know, you've told me like a hundred times. I just need you to tell me that my outfit is OK for tonight."

She had sent me a picture of her black skinny jeans and black pumps and a white tank top and a pair of handmade long golden earrings.

"These are great! You will look great! Don't worry about it. You're gorgeous even when you're wearing your pyjamas," I said knowing that I was right. She had a slim figure, long blond hair and beautiful sparkling eyes. I was sure she would get Leo's attention. I just wasn't sure for how long.

"What are you wearing?" She asked me in a curious manner.

"Hm. My black jumpsuit and a pair of nude heels". Plain and simple.

"Cool. Text me if something goes wrong."

"If something goes wrong I won't have to text you. My mom screaming at me will be heard all around town."

She laughed hard. When it was almost midnight my parents were in deep sleep and I was ready with my makeup on, shoes in hand and a small purse with my phone in silent mode, my keys and wallet. I texted Cathrine who was at the park near my house waiting for me stressed to the bone.

In less than five I was there. 

"No screaming. So no one saw you leave?"

"I think so."

"Your brothers?"

"They don't live here remember?" I answered full of anxiety.

"So off we go!" she laughed as we set off on her tiny blue Fiat ready for the big night.

"May God help us", I whispered and we headed to the club.

Finding a parking spot was always trouble but not for us. We would park in the VIP parking lot because of my cousin's connections. We stepped in not even having to wait for a second in line and the blinding lights and deafening sound of house music hit us.

The place was huge but crowded. You could not even tell it was Wednesday.  Imagine what this place looked like on Saturday night.

Cathrine seemed lost. She was very anxious and almost could not breathe as she knew we were minutes to meeting Leo.

 I, on the other hand, was very natural. I waved to a few friends here and there and smiled at the bouncer who was my brother's friend who too returned my smile. everything was going fine.  I nearly forgot that I had sneaked out of the house.

I went to the bar with Cathrine by my side who was scanning the place for Leo and asked for two vodka orange drinks. George, my cousin at the bar, gave me a quick hug and said the drinks were on him. I smiled graciously thanking him.

"He is here!" Cathrine said.

"He is here, how do I look?" she said worriedly.

I smiled at her and reassured her.

"You look fantastic!"  I fixed a stray curl of hers and looked to face my best friend. There was a problem though... he wasn't alone.