prologue

A shadow of the devil faded into the sunlight, which shined through the windows of the Berks' family house. The sun outlined its human face but the metallic grin and evil look in its eyes were far different from human. It's only intentions was to kill, nothing more. It's mind was driven by madness. The creature stood infront of a shaking Mrs. Berks, her hair a mess and her dress splattered with her husband's blood.

She looked to her side and saw her husband, the person whom she loved the most. Their love was so great that times she would catch herself saying she would take her own life for her husband. Now, that she actually would it was unriveting and horrifying.

Her horse voice couldn't even let a crooked gasp as she recognized the murder. It cackled as if she had no hope. And she thought that as well as the creature raised its weapon and chose the fate of Mrs. Berks. Her last sight was the lifeless face of her husband. A bullet through his head.

Just minutes before she and Mr. Berks we're enjoying the bright spring day. They were preparing to have the Pillar family come meet them in their new house that they had bought. After all it was nearing a year since she and Mr. Berks had gotten married. The two were a perfect match and couldn't wait to have a family in Baltimore, Maryland. However that dream now crumpled before her in a wicked way.

The murderer raised its weapon, different from the one it used on her husband, and all Mrs. Berks felt was an opening in her throat. This she knew was an end to her life. Her thoughts flooded and she was confused. Who knew death would cause so much thought?

If she could wrap her head around a particular thought she would but it was too crowded. Then all the thoughts and memories fell silent. She felt a tear slip down her crimson cheek and her last breath slipped through her lips. Then everything went black and cold.

Three days later, a certain man, John Evans, would find himself in the home of his old childhood friend. Something he never thought he would do after so many years. He would find himself in need of help and nothing more.