CHAPTER 37

Hannah Towers' POV

I toss and turn around again while wrapping the blanket around me. Amber is sleeping soundly beside me but I can't even close my eyes and fall asleep. Damn this feeling.

When Amber told me she saw Justin's hand bleeding, I admit I got so worried and it's making me anxious right now.

How could he just punch that metal panel on the gate? Where the hell is he now? He should get his hand treated. I hope he’s doing okay.

Seeing him so distraught and hysterical nudged something in my heart. But the irrefutable pain of his piercing words cut me deeper than I could take. I had been thinking about this possibility but never did I imagine it would hurt like this.

When I think about it, it was my fault for falling and for accepting the deal in the first place. I shouldn't have allowed him to slowly creep into my heart and taking a piece of it.

I shouldn't have accepted the offer.

I shouldn't have entertained him when he first approached me in the bar.

I-I shouldn't have . . .

***
“My lady.” Justin smiles and playfully bows while offering his hand with his palm out towards me.

I laugh and put my hand over his warm palm as I get out of the car. He's playing a gentle knight from the Medieval times to convince me that chivalry isn't dead yet.

“Justin, thank you for the dinner.”

He smiles and looks down at me. “It was an honor, my lady.”

“Okay, okay, fine. Chivalry isn't dead yet. But it's still dying. Now, stop calling me 'my lady'.” I giggle as we walk towards my apartment.

It was a wonderful night. We had dinner. We talked about anything just like normal couples would likely do except that we aren't couples. We even debated about chivalry that's why he's showing off how he can be a knight who is courteous, humble and gentle.

He laughs freely and I like the sound of his genuine laughter. He looks so carefree when he laughs with his blue eyes shining in sheer delight.

“Uhm, would you like to take a walk?” I bite my lip at my sudden offer. The idea of taking a stroll at this time of the night just crossed my mind.

“Oh, sure. I would love to do that with my lady.” He winks and I exhale in relief. I was afraid he might turn my offer down.

“Shall we?” Justin puts up his arm and I happily cling my hand onto his elbow.

We turn around and start walking as the street lamps light our path along the sidewalk. Somehow, I feel so content. The stars are shining down against the darkness around us and the night breeze blows its way upon us.

Suddenly the place shifts and I turn around in confusion. Where am I? I look beside me but Justin is nowhere.

Instead, a dark alley is in front of me. I frown. The place doesn't look familiar and it's walls are just bare bricks without any clue to tell me where the hell am I.

I take careful steps while trying to listen for any sound.

“Hannah!” I gasp when a sudden voice comes out of nowhere. I look over my shoulder but no one is behind me. I frown since it seems like a man's voice but at the same time, I can also detect a woman's edge to it.

“Hannah!” The voice becomes louder and frantic.

“Hannah!” Finally, I open my eyes and squint them immediately at the bright sunlight embracing the whole room.